How do I go about legally paying an employee?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stang2244, May 26, 2009.

  1. stang2244

    stang2244 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 250

    I am a smaller operation and just started using a "helper" almost full time(30-35hrs/week). I do not know the proper way to go about paying him, getting workman's comp, paying taxes for him, etc... Can anyone point me in the right direction, give me an idea of how much this is going to end up costing, or tell me your experience with this?

  2. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    irs publication 15 will tell you what you need to know for payroll taxes. If you have state income tax you need to contact the state dept or revenue or whatever they call it. Workers comp you need to purchase through an insurance agent.
  3. grandview (2006)

    grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,465

    You could hire a payroll company for a little while until you learn how to do everything the right way.
  4. yardmanlee

    yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 898

    with most payroll companies you pay one fee and they take care of everything for you taxes, cutting checks, workers comp
  5. bohiaa

    bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,220

    Check your state laws. here in TEXAS it 5. if we have 5 or fewer employees we dont have to pay WC.

    however WC is kind of cheep.
  6. MarcSmith

    MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,157

    I used a payroll company Paychex. it was nice they cut checks every two weeks for me. and handled the work Comp as well.

    It was nice not having to worry about the legality of everything.
  7. mikey.hill

    mikey.hill LawnSite Member
    Messages: 145

    Just pay them in gold coins.

Share This Page