1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

How do I obtain my Business License?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by exmarkaholic, Mar 26, 2008.

  1. exmarkaholic

    exmarkaholic LawnSite Member
    Messages: 15

    Hello Newbie here, I just wanted to know how do I obtain my Business License, I went to register my business name and all but I cant seem to find how or where do I get my license, any help would be appreciated!!!!
  2. itsallaboutthestripes

    itsallaboutthestripes LawnSite Member
    Messages: 86

    You need to register at the library and get your study guide. The test to get the license is about 250 questions. Most of them are based on not lowballing and being a cut throat newbie. So study up and keep the prices up so we can all make a living. Or you could go to your city hall and get the business license there.
  3. YoungGun

    YoungGun LawnSite Member
    Messages: 103

    When i wanted to register my Biz all the other LCO in the area came they brought Syrup and Grass Clippings
    The Covered me in Syrup then made me roll in grass clippings!

    From there they all jumped in the back off a pick up a i ran Syrup/grassy 2 miles to the State office where i was able to Register my business!
  4. IN2MOWN

    IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,993


    Start here.
  5. marathonmow

    marathonmow LawnSite Member
    Messages: 20

    so, from this list of things to do, we skip down to #5, go out and mow.

    If your solo, and haven't made $5000 yet, then you don't have any sales tax to pay. and you can still claim all income on your taxes.

    If you are only mowing, I haven't found any license you need.

    Your business name, is best for you county, with a 'doing business as', unless you go LLC then there is more involved. with a DBA, you can then open bank accounts under the business name.
  6. RollTide11

    RollTide11 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 83

    Ya just checked on this myself the other day. It depends on what you will be doing, if your only mowing, in most places that is considered a class A bus like a maid service and needs no lis. But if your digging any holes or spraying pesticides you need to go to the city hall and get a bus. lis. Hope this helps you out I know how it feels not to know anything about the bus.
  7. Slcareco

    Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 682

    How about for NEWYORK?
  8. Mr.Lawn

    Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida
    Messages: 93

    Here in the sunshine state the county issues business licenses The State of Florida does all the incorporation paper work issues sales tax certs and fictitious name. then the department of ag issues us a cert of stock dealer.
  9. JeffNY

    JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 257

    I went down to the county clerks office and picked up a simple form for a partnership company, we have to fill that out, get it notarized, and hand it in. I think thats it.
    Not sure if we also need a DBA or what, the lady didn't seem to know herself.

Share This Page