How do I repair PVC?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. jcom

    jcom LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 791


    We are in poly country and I am working on my first PVC repair inline. We have a leak in a 200' run of poly. It is at a coupling and I don't know how best to repair as the flexibility I am used to with poly is not there.

    Are there repair or splice items available for PVC?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. kerdog

    kerdog LawnSite Member
    Messages: 129

    Hey jcom-----

    To repair that leak at a coupling---get a repair coupling. It's a telescopic coupling. Known as a kwik-fix or slip-fix. Supply house should know what you need. May need a regular coupling to complete the repair. Maybe can find it at the hdwe./home improvement place. See ya----

  3. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    Bic has sold me on the Dawn KwikFix's.

    But you can also use the old fashioned FlowSpans (slipfix).

    Don't cheap out and buy one of those crappy compression fixes...Theres two types of those.

    1. Ones that Leak right away
    2. And ones that leak later

  4. jcom

    jcom LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 791

    Many thanks for the quick reply and assist. I will get some repair couplings as I am sure I will need them again in the future.

    John :waving:
  5. bicmudpuppy

    bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,781

    guess that means you did find some :)
    glad you like them. Did they have any of the larger ones in stock where you are? Web site says they are making them up to either 3 or 4". I've never seen one bigger than 1".
  6. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,756

    On a constant-pressure line, I would advise against telescoping couplings. Better to use two Schedule 80 PVC unions and a bit of sch 40 pipe.
  7. jcom

    jcom LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 791


    This is a "live" line. Can I use the telescoping coupling? I have not seen the unions???


    John ;) ;)
  8. kerdog

    kerdog LawnSite Member
    Messages: 129

    Hey jcom-----

    I think the warning with the telescoping repair is, that there will be the ability for expansion/contraction, due to the use of the repair cplg. IF you use it, try to have the repair made with the coupling near fully extended, so that when pressurized, it doesn't want to 'expand' any further on you.

  9. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,756

    Any good sprinkler supply will have the schedule 80 unions, even in poly country. Drop in the new pipe, and tighten the union nuts on each end, and you will never have to worry about the repair. Unions seal with heavy O-rings locked into position. Telescoping repair couplings use lighter O-rings that are free to move as the fitting moves (and eventually fail)

  10. Grassmechanic

    Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,697

    Now that's some of biggest bunch of BS that I've heard in awhile. Come on out to Michigan and I'll take you to a golf course that has MANY 3" compression couplings on a 125 psi constant pressurized sch80 system. Many of the couplings have been in since the mid 80's and none have leaked. Ever.

Share This Page