How do I take the belt and this big ***** off in HRx 217 mower

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
There are 4 bolts holding engine on, take those off, slide engine back, remove belt. There are videos that show how to do this on youtube.

OP
C

Cmonstihl

LawnSite Member
Just remove the center bolt that holds the hub on the crank. Should slide right off.
that's where i'm timid. I went to loosen it and it feels like its getting tighter and tighter. don't wanna strip it. is this reverse thread?

also sliding the engine back wont allow me to slip the belt over this big ass hub

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Use an impact gun, or breaker bar. Make sure your going the right way. Penetrating oil is your friend

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Remember righty tighty, lefty loosey.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Regular fine thrds.
Bolt the blade back on and block it from turning. Blade should have a large cntr hole, no?

OP
C

Cmonstihl

LawnSite Member
Regular fine thrds.
Bolt the blade back on and block it from turning. Blade should have a large cntr hole, no?
I have blades on now and blocked off with wood. When I put a socket on the center bolt it just spins, gets loose then tight, repeat

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
I just did a trans on a Honda BBC unit. Yers may have just a slip clutch, dunno.
Pop the recoill off and see if the whole crank is turning. May have to block the flywheel.
May be stripped, IDK.
Have fun.