OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
An adjustable chute blocker Thumbs Up
05E153FE-5929-4C7C-A709-ABC3BC197FB9.png

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
That all sounds great. But there's a lot more time that needs to be spent on the business than just being out there mowing. As a solo you can't always be out there for 12 hours a day working. You're running a business too, and you need to make time for that. You need to do the bookkeeping/banking, get fuel, parts and supplies, maintain your vehicle and equipment as well as doing the marketing, sales and client relations. Are you planning to do sales calls full of dust and sweat at the end of the day while towing your rig?
IMHO this is something he will learn, it really can't be taught as a solo op. It's a hard lesson to learn but one I think all of us that have been doing this for at least more than 4 or 5 years start to "get" at one point or another.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Don’t forget about longevity. Do you want to be mowing lawns for the next 20-30 years?
It sounds ok now, but will you be saying the same thing in the next 15 years?

what about taking a summer vacation? Are you ok with never being able to take a day off during the season for the next 30 years?

Mowing lawns and being in the heat takes a toll on your body in the long run. You may be ok with it when your in your 20’s and 30’s, but what about your 40’s and 50’s.

I’m not saying one route is better than another. Just a few things to think about.
Why take summer vacation when you can enjoy vacating during the winter when it’s someone else’s summer in a different hemisphere?

I dunno why more people don’t check out Chile for vacations.
Maybe it’s the Nazi goose stepping military parades?
But the weather is nice !

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I think some members overlook when I say I’ll be only taking a comfortable amount of clients to maintain sanity. I love staying in beach hotels at January and February prices and can book last minute to choose decent weather.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I think some members overlook when I say I’ll be only taking a comfortable amount of clients to maintain sanity. I love staying in beach hotels at January and February prices and can book last minute to choose decent weather.

It gets pretty hard to say “no” to good paying customers with nice properties. Especially when they have been referred to you from other happy clients of yours.

I despise working in winter. We usually take our vacations in winter, like TP said, we go somewhere warm, it’s nice. The problem we had this year was, 1 - I agreed to do the landscaping for a guy who was referred to me by a current client. It’s a little over $20k, hard to say no. 2 - We’ve gotten a lot of ice over the past week, I don’t usually do any snow/ice removal but 1 of my customers asked if I would do their business lot in town, so I did - big mistake, I’ve now done almost the entire main strip in town already this week and have around a dozen more to do next week. Not really my thing but I couldn’t find the courage to say no to these people.

Maybe it’ll be easier for you to say no to good people.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I feel like if/when I hit that point I’ll begin dropping my least desirable jobs. I have no problem saying I can’t take a job, except for the realator and landscaper that sets me up sometimes, I take those if at all possible.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I feel like if/when I hit that point I’ll begin dropping my least desirable jobs. I have no problem saying I can’t take a job, except for the realator and landscaper that sets me up sometimes.

Dropping the less desirable is exactly what you do but eventually, there won’t be any less desirable’s on your route.

You’ll get to see it for yourself soon enough. Saying no isn’t as easy as it sounds.

Johnny Outside

LawnSite Member
Do you do anything else besides Mow? I don't know of 1 company near me that just mows. We all do additional services. What happens when you have a full mowing route and customers ask if you can trim their bushes or do a landscaping project? A lot of customers want a 1-stop shop for all their landscaping needs.

Top Forums