How do y’all get mulch so cheap!?

brbhan

LawnSite Member
First, to see an immediate jump in margins you need to register your biz as a reseller. Then, you buy "wholesale", sales tax free. Tax is "passed on" to customer. All I can say as an Accountant. Lots of valuable info in other responses to your question.
That isn’t going to make your margins jump
Tax is tax
It’s semi irrelevant where you pay the tax..................

[/QUOTE]
Slow down buddy. Re-read "passed on". Simple concept. Or, need further clarification?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
That isn’t going to make your margins jump
Tax is tax
It’s semi irrelevant where you pay the tax..................
Slow down buddy. Re-read "passed on". Simple concept. Or, need further clarification?
[/QUOTE]
I don’t
You did

margins aren’t going to change due to tax
Tax exempt status won’t affect how much you pay per yard.
Plain
Simple

Richard Carey

LawnSite Member
When I was a kid of about18, I worked at a electronic company as their grounds keeper, all I had was a riding lawn mower/tractor type/Sears, and a 10 cf tow behind trailer, a ensilage fork/cottonseed fork, which I called my mulch fork, and they dumped 3 90 cy loads in the parkinglot, I had to fork the mulch in the trailer, tow it to the beds, dump the trailer and rake into place @ 3” the whole load took me about 10 days, but I had to mow 1 day p/week, so really 8 days working by myself, was a work out but it was fun...when your a kid.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Ted has a great method from what I just read. But it’s way too much fkn work for mulch. Why I hate mulch. You’re better off just doing bags bro! Or sell rock jobs and make enough to just do a straight delivery.

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
So most of y’all know I’m a teenager and I operate a lawn care business in my neighborhood, this will be my second year. Last year I charged $70 a yard for high end pine bark mini nuggets. I was able to get pine bark mini nuggets, bagged and delivered on pallets for only $39 (including tax) a yard. That’s less than I could’ve gotten the cheap stuff for at any of the like 5 landscape supply stores I called. So here is what I’m wondering.... how are y’all getting mulch for like $15-20 a yard? Of course I don’t have a truck and the towing vehicle we’ve got is a 1500 suburban so we need it delivered. Do y’all have any guidance on how to get mulch for less than $30 delivered including tax for good quality. Anything more than $30 and the convenience of the bags is worth it. I just need to get my margins up!
What region do you live in? Sometimes obtaining the pulp is expensive in certain areas. Now I'm not certain of what areas are expensive and not, but I charge in one area 47 dollars a yard and am making similar profit as you, and another area 55 a yard. I deliver and spread too at these prices...

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
What region do you live in? Sometimes obtaining the pulp is expensive in certain areas. Now I'm not certain of what areas are expensive and not, but I charge in one area 47 dollars a yard and am making similar profit as you, and another area 55 a yard. I deliver and spread too at these prices...
He is in TN.

You deliver and spread for $47/yard? I'm at $95/yard.

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
What is your cost per yard? I can get natural hardwood for $22 and dyed for $30/yard.
10 to 17.50 per yard of hardwood depending on whether or not I'm buying it at the mulch yard or delivered to my place by the tractor trailer load. My died mulch prices are a bit higher, but I don't mess with that stuff hardly at all. In fact I haven't spread dyed mulch in over a year.

One mulch yard has went up to 25 per yard on me to whereas it was 19 a yard a couple years ago. This makes it worth the time and money to make two round trips to get the cheap stuff. The area this job is at usually requires 20 - 25 yards spread twice a year.

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
Why not call around and get a semi load of bags delivered to your place for a much better rate than paying retail. It's now there at your convenience. Yes most bag suppliers will do this. Look up nature's helper.

Top Forums