1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How do you charge for stone edging?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by txcamper, Feb 23, 2007.

1. txcamper

txcamper LawnSite Member

Hey guys and gals, need some help:confused: . I got a call yesterday to quote on adding a stone edging around this lady's flower beds, front and back, and was wondering what is the normal charge per foot. I know it depends on the type of stone but just want to get an idea where to start. This will be my first for a customer, but I have done this same work at my house and my parents house and they turned out great.
    I'm will be using mortar mix(behind the stone, not between) with a rock/sand base. I'm thinking of using Oklahoma stone type but will get more detail info from customer when I do the walk-thru. If they are wanting a 2 row edging, do I just double the cost of a single row?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

Do you have any pic's of what you are talking about.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Double the cost of a single row would not really be appropriate only because you already SHOULD have the cost of excavation in the first row's pricing. I am just speculating, but are you talking about Belgium block type edging?

Chris

4. STONE SCAPES

basic pricing is product + 20% + cost of labor. DON'T WORK FOR FREE !!!! Make sure you get paid. Some one on here has a tag line I love and will forever live bye now. IT'S NOT MY JOB TO MAKE IT AFFORDABLE. IT'S YOUR JOB TO AFFORD IT !

5. txcamper

txcamper LawnSite Member

Thanks. Basically, the stone would be a chop stone or pavestone but I need to discuss that with the customer. Installing stone, is it not priced at a cost per foot?

product + 20% + labor. What would labor be? $30 or $40 per hour?

adding some stone pics

edging.jpg

colonialbuilders.jpg

6. STONE SCAPES

you need to figure out what your over head is. ins, vech, pay, gas and so on. Add it all up and divide by the # of weeks you will work this year. then divide by 40hrs = hrly rate on labor.

7. txcamper

txcamper LawnSite Member

thanks for everyone's info

8. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

when we use ep henry's curbstone, which is a concrete belgium block we charge $10 per foot. that is just for a garden type install not along a drive where it needs to be mortared in.

9. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I do a lot of stone edging here in St. Louis and I chagre between $12-$20 a linear foot. It all depends on the job size, stone price, and access. The granite cobbles you pictured are expensive here price is about $5 a stone which is about 8" to 12" in length. I dig a trench to a depth that will let the stone sit at a height that we (the customer & I) feel is the most eye appealing for the job/property. Usually I go down 3"-4" and set them in a 2" concrete bed. You will benefit from this method more since you don't have much freeze thaw conditions in Texas. I can do about 150 feet in an 8 hour day, so I like charging by the foot.