• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

How do you clean up apples, walnuts..and so on

michmoldman

LawnSite Member
Hey all! I am not trying to sell anything, but I have a question for you all. I invented something about 7 yrs. ago that I use all the time to rake my apples in my yard before I mow. It used to take forever to rake my apples, but now only takes a few minutes. I can also use this on pinecones, walnuts, rocks...whatever. My question is what does everyone here use to clean this stuff from yards, if at all? I am thinking of putting my product into production, but thought I would get some feedback first.
Thanks

deerewashed

LawnSite Senior Member
got a pick.....i have 4 properties with 4 or more apple trees....damn things piss me off and i get stung at least three times trying to clean them up....bees love dem apples......i wish they could carry them...haha. so pics please

OP
M

michmoldman

LawnSite Member
Here is a pic. I know its hard to tell about something until you use it, but like I said, I have used mine for about 7 years. I was a welder for 13 years, and thought it up and welded it myself. Everyone I let use it...loves it! I made it from aluminum, with the handle just bolted on...no screw in crap! This one is about 24" wide, but I have another that is 30" wide and is even faster at raking! I am in the process of writing my own patent. Oh, and one great thing about this is it rakes up rotten apples too!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3507/3908912317_6b092b57c8.jpg

AOD

LawnSite Senior Member
It kind of looks like a modified roof snow rake. Looks like it'd work pretty well to make piles, then clam them up with a FEL and to a dump truck.

A turf sweeper might also work, but those things are more trouble than their worth, a big, overcomplicated money pit.

OP
M

michmoldman

LawnSite Member
maybe a better pic would help us see how it works right now it just kind of looks like a snow shovel
Yes I know it doesnt show much. I will be making a short video of it raking apples, nuts, pinecones, rocks...whatever else I can find, then anyone interested could get a better idea. Its more of a "hands on" kinda tool. I show people, they arent too interested till they try it. I own a business in another field right now, but for years this little voice in my head has been telling me to try selling these, so I gotta do it. Truthfully, I couldnt imagine going without my rake come apple time.

OP
M

michmoldman

LawnSite Member
It kind of looks like a modified roof snow rake. Looks like it'd work pretty well to make piles, then clam them up with a FEL and to a dump truck.

A turf sweeper might also work, but those things are more trouble than their worth, a big, overcomplicated money pit.
Yes they are very similar. I would imagine a snow rake is longer and wider...but they are similar. My first rake (which I still use) is 30" long, and I just duct-taped it to a handle before I thought up a way to attach them so they would be real sturdy. I still use it, and it is still duct taped.