How do you compensate

Peyton Wood

LawnSite Member
I'm curious to find out how other businesses handle call backs. We pay our crew by the hour, not by the job, so their mistakes end up costing the bottom line.

Write ups don't motivate someone, they simply point out flaws. I want to find a good way to eliminate as many unnecessary hours as possible while being fair to the customer and my workers.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Whoever's fault it is, load them up in the truck and personally drive over there to fix it. Do most of the work yourself and explain during the drive time how important it is to do quality work and why it matters.
A guilt trip (literally) can do much more coaching than a scolding.

OP
P

Peyton Wood

LawnSite Member
write ups?
in this industry?
YEP!

Our company has 80 years in business, we're known throughout the area for quality work. I can't afford to have shoddy work, I'd just as soon pay someone OT to get do an EXCELLENT job then to put up with a crap ass job.

We've had issues with crews not paying attention to budgeted times and those who think they have to stick to the clock, quality be damned. We're trying to strike the balance between the two. I've managed all kinds of businesses, including owning my own for 14. NEVER have I had issues like this.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
You may need a quality control manager, and to properly train your crews more efficiently, (to be). You set the standard, it goes down the ranks. Like it was said before, take a personal interest in each crew leader to make sure the job is performed to your standards.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
We try to send our guys out to handle call backs on their own. Yes, we have to pay them to do so. They don't like going out to fix issues because they tend to feel stupid.

So yes, it costs us more money but they end up sort of being "shamed" for their mistake. Plus, it's not just me or my partner "scolding" the crews. Now the customer gets to explain it to them to.

If it continues past my threshold for dealing with it, they eventually get fired. It's a CONSTANT battle with some guys though. Quite irritating :hammerhead: