• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

How do you cut black-top, neatly?

HydroCutter

LawnSite Member
I need to cut out a square in a driveway. I would like to just do it by hand, but the owner wants a neat lines cut. I've seen the gas company use a machine, but don't know what it is called, or what kind of blade to use with it.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

McKeeLand

LawnSite Senior Member
demo saw and a diamond blade with a 2x6 or 2x4 as a straight edge to to guide the blade along.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
just chalk some SQUARE, STRAIGHT lines, and cut with a cut off saw.

Grn Mtn

LawnSite Senior Member
I need to cut out a square in a driveway. I would like to just do it by hand, but the owner wants a neat lines cut. I've seen the gas company use a machine, but don't know what it is called, or what kind of blade to use with it.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
If you don't have a cutoff saw you can use a circular saw with a blade recommended ($12-$20 at Home Cheepo) for asphalt. Use a construction square to chalk your cut lines. You might need a brick chisel to clean the corners.

If the driveway gets plowed in the winter, put the point of the square facing the plow direction- less of a chance of the plow pealing up the patch.