• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

how do you do aeration?

bigmudder77

LawnSite Senior Member
just wanted to know how to do it and what you need for it

zz4guy

LawnSite Senior Member
I just did this Monday. My first customer.

He had a standard residential yard. I rented a $35 aerator from a local shop and did it myself. All you do is go up and down the yard with the thing while it pokes holes. It is self propelled.

It took me about 35 min. + drive time and I charged him $100.

OP
bigmudder77

bigmudder77

LawnSite Senior Member
dam sounds like a good way to make money what does it do for the yard and how many people want it done

zz4guy

LawnSite Senior Member
It has a good profit margin, but you are only supposed to do it once a year at most, so it's hard to find customers.

Basically it pierces the top layer of the soil and allows water and fertilizer to get to the grass roots easier. Kind of like giving yourself a shot vs taking a pill lol.

WJW Lawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
When it looks like you have a bunch of small dog turds on the lawn...you've aerated. lol

cranium2001

LawnSite Member
Is spring or fall the best time(not just for the dog turd look)? It seems more common her in the western NY region to be done in the fall. I always see the greens at the golf courses done in the fall time too. Just wondering.

Matts lawn care

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes it is better done in the fall but if the customer wants it why not?