Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you don't have a stick edger only a string trimmer. How do you put an edge on a side walk? Do you turn it sideways and make a smooth cut verticle? Do you lay it on it's side and cut the edge at a , say 90 d angle? Just wondering. I still use my Ryobi String with articulating boomer. I love it for this reason. Anybody have any pic's to post on this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just use my cheap homelite trimlite short line trimmer, and hold it to the side, works great!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If we dare call ourselves professionals and I believe we do then edging the lawn with a line trimmer is NOT the way to do it. I don't care who does it with a line trimmer it NEVER looks as good as when it's done with either a stick edger or a wheeled edger. And I repeat NEVER. A line trimmer does not get as deep as a bladed edger. It simply just looks more professional.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Originally posted by GLAN
McLane
Me got one of those! I like the 3 wheelers better. Yes, its harder to get around curbs but I like them because the jobs i have for the most part are loooooong driveways and sidewalks, so I personaly believe I can make straighter lines with it. Not to mention I use it to edge flower beds to that dont have edging around them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am getting pleanty deep with the Line Trimmer.

The Edger has been hanging in the shop since the end of March.

A lot of my customers prefer I use the string trimmer, they dont want that DEEP and WIDE gaping hole along there driveway.

It all pays the same, so I'll do what makes them happiest.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Recently started using an Edgit... Best thing since sliced bread :)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
it is true that a real edger will look 5x better than the trimmer line...but hey....work with what you got.

when we just use weedos to edge, instead of taking the head and putting it on its side, i let it run against the egde, which trims all hanging grass of and makes the edge straight and neat....

this is okay for a blue collar residential account but for a commercial or high end account, i would invest in an edger.

Maybe you want to look into an echo spilt boom trimmer *260 which you can chagbe between a trimmer, edger or sweeper

good luck

·
Banned
787 Posts
you really like it, Clay...I have heard both bad and good reviews. Hmmm.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Right, a good trimmer cuts plenty deep and can make a nice straight edge. This may look much better than having a trench cut around the lawn. Plus its one less tool to carry, one less tool to get out and haul around. Quick and easy to do all the trimming and edging with the trimmer. Plus it is very versatile - easy to edge around corners or messed up sections of curbs. I haven't analyzed the many threads that have apeared here on this subject, but I think tons of professionals edge with trimmers and tons of professionals edge with edgers. Also lots of pros will say they use an edger one time at the beginning of the season and then use a trimmer.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I use a stih stick edger to edge driveways and sidewalks. I use a trimmer to do flowerbeds because a edger will ever do as good a job on them,at least not with st augustine grass. But I believe the question was how to edge with a trimmer. hold it at a 90 degree angle and walk backwards with it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by mower_babe
you really like it, Clay...I have heard both bad and good reviews. Hmmm.
As advertised, it takes some getting used to... but if you use it for a few weeks I don't think you will ever do without...

Anyone need my echo split boom edger attachment??? It just sits on the trailer... lol...

After using the edgit for a while you find a few handier uses for it besides making nice deep, straight edges as fast as you can walk... It uses less line, acts as a better guard, lets you hold the trimmer in a more ergonomic position while edging, lets you get under shrubs easier, cuts a wider swath, always shows right where you are cutting, and acts like a training wheel.... I don't know if I can even line trim properly without it anymore... :)

The only drawback is that it adds a little weight to the head, but that is an ok tradeoff because while edging your wrists are held straight in a good ergomic position which gives your arms a little rest... plus, you edge with the trimmer head slightly behind you throwing debris to the rear.... Can you tell I like it??? lol

For the little it costs how can someone not give it a try??? After all, it only took me 20 years :)

Good Luck, Clay

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey lawn boy pro. I have 2 questions. How do you become a senior member in less than a year? And how does your hover mower work and why do you have it? I guess thats 3 questions. I'm not trying to start anything, just curious.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by mowdini
If we dare call ourselves professionals and I believe we do then edging the lawn with a line trimmer is NOT the way to do it. I don't care who does it with a line trimmer it NEVER looks as good as when it's done with either a stick edger or a wheeled edger. And I repeat NEVER. A line trimmer does not get as deep as a bladed edger. It simply just looks more professional.
You could not be more wrong. I can not only produce better looking edges, faster with a trimmer (with an Edgit on it) than you can with your blade edger, I can do the trimming while I'm at it. Bottom line, that's more money in the bank. My edges last longer than yours do between mowings because they're wider (yet easily re-edged each mowing), I don't do damage to pavement or sprinkler heads and my edges are clean and crisp. Imagine if you will, leaving your mower blades as dull as edger blades are all the time. They would bludgeon and chew the blades of grass, turning the grass tips brown. This is what you get at the edge of a lawn every time you use a blade edger. Yea, they're useful for first time edgings but nobody makes a living doing first time edgings, you make a living maintaining edges. Combining the edging and trimming into one integrated process is much more productive. Read about this system, "Following the Edge" at edgit.com. Why do it the hard way?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Early spring I edge with a stick edger then maintain with a string trimmer.

As necessary (usually once every 4th visit) I'll re-cut with the stick edger during the growing season.

Again in the fall I'll edge with the stick edger to leave a good cut finished edge all winter.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have always used a line trimmer up until this year. There is no comparison to me,between an edger, and a trimmer. I have gotten accounts just because I use an edger. One other thing I can go three times as fast with an edger as with a trimmer,but thats just me. Bottom line?what ever makes the paying customer happy! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been cutting 22-23yrs. used a Little wonder pro than tanaka.

I bought an Edgit 3yrs ago , hated it at first after a couple months you get use to it . Now I won't trim without it .
I even bought a different weedeater because it wouldn't fit my t-260 anymore . Echo piece of *^**_ . Just bought a t-230 because the Edgit will fit it and love it. T-270 is to heavy.
If you have an edge already you can edge faster with an Edgit than an edger. I wouldn't have believed it but try it and you will see.
Best thing since sliced bread!!
Any problems post em and we will help you with the Edgit .
They're GREAT!!
Steve Snider

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.