• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

How do you filter out time wasters?

ppblaster286

LawnSite Member
I've had a huge problem where people are not serious about hiring me or anyone. So far I've learned a few red flags:

"You're the only one who actually showed up!"
"I'm in no rush"
People who are in the house flipping business.

I've gotten to the point where I give them a ballpark and ask them if they still want me to come do a quote. I've managed to filter out a lot of people that way who have not the slightest clue what these things cost. But still I waste time and gas driving to places where they never had any intention of hiring me. So what more can i do?

I'm not overbidding and I'm good at my interpersonal interactions from prior experience in another business so it's not like I'm turning people off.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Are these requests from referrals or leads gained through advertising? The same happened to me when I was first starting out. It seems there is a portion of the market that is always looking for "fresh meat", the newbie who is underbidding, etc. Referrals from present clients have already been screened and have a much higher closing rate.

Have had clients say "My neighbor asked for your information but I didn't give it to him. You don't want to work for that guy."

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Determine if what you have to offer has any major caveats...then let them know.
My caveats:
I don't bag clippings/leaves when mowing or haul anything away...which is very easy to communicate on the initial call. Voila.

OP
P

ppblaster286

LawnSite Member
These are for install projects. Many were from advertising through Google and Facebook ads. I am not underbidding at all. Right in the middle of the pack with my prices. The job sizes though are on the smaller side (under 5k vs say in the 10s of thousands). Yes I am relatively new and don't have referrals.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
This is sort of an experience thing. There's no clear answer to your question you just learn to look for signs which I suppose are different everywhere.

One thing I look for is what part of town is it in. After a point you get to where you can read people, profiling if you will. I know it may not be socially correct but it's usually right.

OP
P

ppblaster286

LawnSite Member
This is sort of an experience thing. There's no clear answer to your question you just learn to look for signs which I suppose are different everywhere.

One thing I look for is what part of town is it in. After a point you get to where you can read people, profiling if you will. I know it may not be socially correct but it's usually right.
Ya I was going to bring that up but didn't want to get banned. Unfortunately I can't really tell over email certain "groups" and really I just want to avoid driving there, spending 30 minutes talking, and 30 minutes coming up with a plan in my head and quote to send them. As much as I hate dealing with certain groups I always try to give everyone the same treatment. Not being woke here at all but it's just what I try to live by, always, even if the end result pisses me off.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Ya I was going to bring that up but didn't want to get banned. Unfortunately I can't really tell over email certain "groups" and really I just want to avoid driving there, spending 30 minutes talking, and 30 minutes coming up with a plan in my head and quote to send them. As much as I hate dealing with certain groups I always try to give everyone the same treatment. Not being woke here at all but it's just what I try to live by, always, even if the end result pisses me off.
It's part of doing biz, you'll get better at it with experience. After each experience ask yourself what questions could I have asked to avoid wasting time.