• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

How do you filter out time wasters?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I use a customer management system called Turf Hop. It has a leads section. On my company website, I put animated buttons. When someone clicks On that animated button for a quote, it opens a TurfHop form. TurfHop collects the lead and puts it into a leads section. If the customer is a reject, it gets archived. If the customer is a winner then I simply click on the convert to customer option and TurfHop makes it a customer and I’m set to schedule a job. It is so easy and effortless. The customer ends up being the one doing the most data entry when they fill out the quote request.

if you’re interested in becoming a TurfHop client, let me know. I have an affiliate relationship with them. I also might be able to get you a promo code where you can save more. I pay like $26 something a month I think.

My company website is manwithamower.llc
What keeps the customer from lying?

Chineau

LawnSite Member
What keeps the customer from lying?
nothing, in business somewhere I read an entrepreneur has a choice to operate in a trust or distrust mind set, so far trust has built a small year round property service business employing myself and a few other people.
now lets be clear don't be foolish as a former President of your country said
'trust but verify".
hence back to getting better asking the screening questions that help you as a small business operator on the path to your success.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
nothing, in business somewhere I read an entrepreneur has a choice to operate in a trust or distrust mind set, so far trust has built a small year round property service business employing myself and a few other people.
'trust but verify".
hence back to getting better asking the screening questions that help you as a small business operator on the path to your success.
We have customers lie all the time
Especially on the conditions or size of the yard/project

anything to down play the cost and expedite how soon you can get it done.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Yesterday I added a preface message to our call line, quickly stating we are booked up for mowing and all landscape services and are only accepting new customers for chemical apps etc. My calls went from about 20 a day to 3 today. And one of those 3 was still interested in mowing, and she called twice before we could respond... Which I declined. I guess she twice missed the "no new mowing customers" part of the message. That's helpful to us. I don't know if something like that might help get rid of tire kickers.

Edit... Overall call # was about the same, but most hung up this time.

RCT48161

LawnSite Member
'trust but verify".
Correct. The software doesn’t replace your need to ask screening questions or probing the customer more. It just discourages the least interested tire kickers and makes organization a lot easier. It does a pretty good job as pushing out the total wastes of time. However, I still get some.

RCT48161

LawnSite Member
Y
Your last sentence should be a sticky for any aspiring or seasoned lawn care provider. Solo or with crews.
Yes, some will waste your time. It’s usually the cheapest ones who will complain the most and be problematic, Try to push away total cheapskates and don’t budge at all for them. They are the worst kind of customer to have.

Gus McGee

LawnSite Senior Member
I ask if they are currently using or have used a landscaping company in the past year. If they say yes, I ask them why they are seeking to switch. If they say "too expensive, costs too much, trying to find a better price" they instantly get moved to the bottom of the low priority list.

Just today I had a woman call up saying she was looking for a better mowing price - she was paying 30 dollars for a half-acre lot. I told her she was getting a bargain and to stick with that guy until he retires.