How do you get the very clear defined edge?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Jesusl, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Jesusl

Jesusl LawnSite Member

As i walked around passing out postcard for my business i noticed a lot of lawns have a very defined edge. it looks like the grass is about 1 inch above the rest of the lawn. is there I tool i can use to get it so that there is a very clean edge between the bark dust and grass?

2. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

An edger???

3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about planter beds? If so most of us do that with a line trimmer.

4. Todd73

Male, from Florida

I use an edger for that as well.

5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

I have yet to try this, most planter beds I maintain an edge on aren't straight and I feel like the stick edger would be awkward enough that I would either do a poor job or screw it up.

Do you place the wheel on the lawn or in the planter bed? I want to try it when I help a crew with one of the larger apt complexes.

6. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Member

Manufacturers such as Stihl, Husquvarna, and Echo make these products similar to string trimmers branded as edgers. They have a metal blade along with a wheel that is used for stability and precision. Simply place the wheel side on either the concrete or landscape bed (depending on what you are edging) and you get a nice defined line. We use the FC111 by Stihl works great!

7. Todd73

Male, from Florida

Either. Although I find it easier when the wheel is in the bed.

Dawson likes this.
  8. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Senior Member

Me too......its interesting how once you get north of Georgia so few people even know what a stick edger is. Down here a lawn service without a stick edger getting used on pretty much every driveway, sidewalk, and grass edged bed would be akin to a lawn service using brooms to sweep off driveways instead of blowers. Different types of grass i guess.

Todd73 likes this.
  9. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

I don't know if it's the grass or the soil. I have never tried an edger along a walkway, but I did borrow one once to re-edge a bed. It got so clogged up with the damp clay that it was useless. So I always edge with a string trimmer, and if I need to cut a new edge, a good old fashioned garden spade, and string trimmer cleanup.

10. Todd73

Male, from Florida

It's the grass type without a doubt. Let that St. Aug go a couple weeks, and it's going to creep out onto everything.

I thought about also getting a dedicated bed redefiner like this, https://www.stihlusa.com/products/bed-redefiner/professional-bed-redefiner/fb131/ but can't justify the $600 price tag for something that would get used only a couple times per season.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017