1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys bid properties?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Mar 30, 2005.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

For mowing, blowing, trimming. Spring clean-ups? Do you bid by approximate hours, square footage of the props.? Thank you

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

1) Figure out what it costs you to operate as a company per hour
    (total costs for the year / hours worked)
    2) estimate the time it will take to do a certain job
    3) multiply costs per hour * hours to do the job
    4) add #3 with any materials you need to buy + markup + labor
    5) add profit for the company on top of #4

6) this is your bid

it may sound a bit overdone, but knowing your numbers is important. without knowing them, you could actually be losing money on doing work, which is pointless in growing a business. You can find a lot of information on this site, but you have to know how much it costs you to operate to make sure you make a profit, regardless of what anyone else would charge for the same job

example...

costs for the year
    insurance, licenses, truck payments, equipment, gas, phone,
    total: $2300
    hours worked per year: 250
    cost per hour: $9.20
    time to do job: 3 hours
    cost of job: 3*$9.20 = $27.60 + $50 materials + $5 markup on materials + 3*$12.00 per hour labor = $118.60

then add in company profit = 10%
    bid = $130.46

this is a gross basic example, but you have to know what your costs are to come up with any number is the point.

simply saying, I can mow that yard in an hour, and bidding $20 because $20 an hour is good money, will leave your business going out of business.

hope this helps some. best advice, read read read Lawnsite!

3. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Spring cleanups I charge by an hourly rate which I inform the custmoer before hand. I just eyeball for mow, edge, weedeated, blow. My prices usually end up as this:
    45 minutes or below: $25
    45 min to an hour : $30
    1 hr to 1hr 15 minutes: $35
    1hr 20 min $40
    Dont really have any different size lawns down here but usually I ve gotten to the point to easily determine how long a lawn will take.
    EHO