1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

how do you guys get new customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Jan 18, 2002.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

do you guys get most of your new clients from people calling you,or do you need to put out direct mailing etc. :blob3:

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i get all of my customers from being seen mowing neighbors lawns or putting flyers out. i like putting flyers out, because you can target nice properties that you would like to maintain. just put a name and number on your truck and trailer, and the calls will come in as well.

3. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yes same as above 5 new lawns this week just from being parked in the street .Thats good because all the lawns are close to current jobs keeps the round compact.:)

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This topic has been gone over a billion times here. Do a search for "advertising" or "marketing" or "flyers", etc. There are tons of ways to get new customers.

But I must agree, the two mentioned above are by far the best.

5. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

direct mailing can be very effective if done properly. do not get suckered into buying or renting a property list. you can get all the information you need at the city or county office. i have a postal catalog from the usps that breaks down permit and size requirments. also try to setup a good relationship with a print shop, in the past i have made deals with them to put there advertising on my paper work in trade for lower pricing. if you go with a direct mail company be aware some of them are cons. before anything is mailed request to see all the material. use a postal scale or balance to set net weight of the document to be mailed. then fiqure the total weight to be sent do a weight check on the total amount. this shouldn't be off by a whole lot ( the paper industry has pretty strict tolerances). you can get a good postal scale at staples or a triple beam balance at a local head shop. sorry for the lenth but i have gotten burned before and i got this tip from an insider.

6. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Flyers have been my best advertising strategy by far. 2nd would be doing a good job and having a lot of satisfied customer refferals.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend who just started doing appraisels and he has access to a computer program that has all of the houses that sold in my county over the last year.

This is by far the best target audience that I have found and I will be trying it out in about a month and a half.
    He can even query into which neighborhood so I can find the expensive houses that might need some of my help.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

for me it was advertisement first to get started (back in 80)
    then do each job as if your next client were going to see it.
    that with a truck sighn etc. good luck

9. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Take it from me. The best way to get customers is to contact them directly. Pick a neighborhood/business location you want to work. Appoach the home owner directly and, in a business, find out who the decision amker is. Call them up or drop by and ask them if they are 100% satisfied with the current service. About 33% of the time in my area the answer is 'No'. Ask them if you can give them a price for your service and then ask for the business! It's just that complicated.

Cordially,
    Sheppard