1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys get rid of weeds?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by erinspice, Mar 27, 2008.

1. erinspice

erinspice LawnSite Member

Is there anything I can do to get rid of weeds long term? I'm in zone 7 -- Huntsville, AL -- and have a disgusting mixture of fescue and bermuda. I used one of those sprays in a bottle last summer, and I swear, it got rid of every single weed in my yard and it looked great all fall and winter. I put winterizer on it in at the beginning of October and am planning on nitrogen, lime, and turf builder in a couple of weeks, but there are more weeds in my yard right now than there were this time last year, despite my increasing efforts to keep them away! What can I do? It's mostly red clover.

Also, what do you guys do to keep weeds and grass out of flower beds? Mine have a very penetrable bricks-without-mortar border right now, and I can't afford to put anything else in. Is there anything I can put in my beds that won't kill my shrubs and bulbs? I have just been very carefully spot-spraying with herbicide and pulling them by hand. I mulch every year after the pine seeds fall.