1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys keep your walls perfectly straight?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cards1, Jan 6, 2009.

1. cards1

cards1 LawnSite Member

I have done roughly 30 walls to date and i'm still looking for an easier method to this problem.
    Scenario is your building a wall a 100' long. How do you guys keep that wall perfectly straight?(Keystone and versa-lok)

We use the twine method which works great but it can be a pain dealing with the line in your way everytime you set a block, plus it takes alittle longer!

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm...
    Never heard of a gay wall.

3. cards1

cards1 LawnSite Member

Sorry Marcos i owe you an apology i didn't mean to peek your interest on the whole "gay" vision i gave you but this is a landscaping website not the guy on guy website you have bookmarked!

4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I think that what you are doing is it, string line every time. What else can you do?

5. mikeny

mikeny LawnSite Member

I use a large framing square as well as a string line, drop the square over the top as long as that is level you get the true 90 degree for a straight face.

6. CertPro

CertPro LawnSite Member

When I install walls, I get my base stone perfect, then I screed 1" of sand, then I snap a chalk line in the sand and follow that.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I usually try to make sure that we don't put any dresses, high heels, or make up on them.

8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Stringline for short walls, single dot laser and a builders square for the long ones. I have a line laser that I thought would work for this, but it turned out to be to hard to see in sunlight.

9. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Use a 4' level or straight board. After you get a few blocks in just slide it along the back of the blocks or keep using the string. Either way works good.

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

We pull a string for long runs then follow it with a chalk line every 20 feet or so. If you use string, make sure you leave a small gap between the string and the block. If your blocks touch the string it just moves out and you end up with a crooked wall. For brick, screed sand, for walls, screed stone dust.