How do you guys politely decline a property?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSO LAWNEN4CER, Feb 6, 2019.

1. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Senior Member
    from GSO NC

Had a call this morning about this upcoming season. The potential customer wants spring clean up and weekly maintenance. Mo/Blo/Go. So they give me the address and I immediately go on Zillow and find the property. It’s a foreclosure. In the pics on Zillow it looks pretty rough. So I said I’ll drive by there. I ride over to the property and holy cow.
    It’s a nightmare. And I don’t want to take the property. How would you guys hand this?

2. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

If it's the new homeowner that bought the foreclosure I would say.....

After viewing the property I feel it wouldn't be a good fit for the types of properties we currently service.

It's what I say.

If it's a management company and it's still a vacant house just say no thanks, not taking anything on right now.

North Idaho Dream, JLSLLC and hort101 like this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

just tell them sorry but the property doesn't fit your business model at this time.

4. GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

I was thinking of using my old tactics. Price it so high that they decline the bid.

zlandman, kemco, zraffz and 1 other person like this.
  5. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

That works too, but some jobs aren't worth any amount of money....that's up to you in this job but I tend to say what I posted because it's pretty final.

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

"due to a recent surge in upcoming contracts for the 2019 season, I currently cannot accept additional accounts at the moment, should schedules change we will contact you promptly."

7. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Platinum Member

So this someone buying the foreclosed property and is asking you for future service right?

If you don't need/want anymore customers or don't want to deal with the rigors of getting the place back into shape then yes, what was advised by the above posts should do.

I just wanted to mention though that some distressed properties can be diamonds in the rough.

Old owner didn't give a care, but maybe the new one wants the property to look good and is willing to pay for your service.

8. GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

This property is jacked up. It’s old big screen TVs in the yard. Clothes,broken glass in the yard. It’s gonna take two trips to the land field with tree brush. It’s a downed tree in the back. The back hasn’t been mowed since last year. It’s broken furniture in the yard. A box spring to a bed in the yard. With the spring rush coming I’m not wanting to fool with honestly

hort101 likes this.
  9. Spartan57

Spartan57 LawnSite Member

That sounds like my old neighbors might have lived there.

jetson, DXN1EL, Cam15 and 1 other person like this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

If you can start early and price all that clean up in your estimate add some cushionpayup
    if they will pay to come up to the level of your normal customers could be potential ..
    also is it close to you ?

Id say both just my pennys worthThumbs Up

Spartan57 and Wye Oak Tree like this.