How do you guys politely decline a property?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSO LAWNEN4CER, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Haha that's funny! :laugh:

hort101 and Spartan57 like this.
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah all that tell them $500 just to clean it up before you can mow it. they can take it or leave it. if you're gonna tackle anything like that then make it more than worth your time.

hort101 likes this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Put a crazy high price on it
    Then double it
    You won’t get the job because someone else will under bid it and save you

If you DO get it at least you will get paid enough to pay someone else to deal with

iand, weeze and hort101 like this.
  4. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Go on Craig’s list and find someone that has the guts to tell them you’re not interested, or gain the confidence to tell them yourself, you’re in the business to make money not friends.

jetson and hort101 like this.
  5. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

If we REALLY don't want to do a project for whatever reason (bad property, rude client, etc) we've been known to politely decline the work BUT refer them to a competitor that we don't like.

It's a win-win-win that way. Bad customer gets to deal with a bad company. We get to chuckle about it.

TomH&H, sjessen, AlohaMowing and 3 others like this.
  6. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't want it price it high. Personally, these are the kinds of properties I like, and I've got a couple dozen of them. I get a good price, people tend to be less picky than most and tend to be grateful you're helping them out. Of course, being a landlord, I'm used to debris cleanups.

sjessen, AlohaMowing and hort101 like this.
  7. johnfaria68

johnfaria68 LawnSite Member

Price it high they will decline

hort101 likes this.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldn't mind doing it if they will stick with you for 5 years or more but most times on stuff like this they get you to put in all the hard work to clean it up (and don't really pay you what it's worth) and then once everything is finally in shape they say "oh, well we are gonna mow it ourselves now" or something along those lines. >.<

...so all that hard work you put in doesn't pay off. sometimes it does though. it's a gamble.

9. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

I often do this but have gotten some complaints about the high price. I may just start passing on pita jobs versus high bid

10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

that is a real possibilty:wall