How do you guys politely decline a property?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSO LAWNEN4CER, Feb 6, 2019.

1. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

If it is something I don't want to do a simple I don't think we are the right fit for this job thanks for reaching out.

If it's just a crummy property that needs alot of front end work I usually price it 3-4 times more. Then sub out the front end clean up.

hort101 likes this.
  2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Can you sub it out? I don’t turn down work if they take my rate. Bid it high if you get it, sub it out, or make some money.

The older I get the less I want to mess with stuff too. But when I can buy more tools/toys for this business or have money to blow it becomes fun

hort101 likes this.
  3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I can’t edit from my phone, it also depends on how far away it is. Sounds somewhat local. It does sound like they want an estimate. Did you get in touch?

Is it a bank your dealing with or an owner? Sorry I might of missed that

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Call back and say thank for the opportunity but I'm not interested.
    One thing I learned in the business, after a few years, is you HAVE to learn to say no to some things, firmly.

5. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Senior Member
    from GSO NC

Ok guys. I got in contact with the new owner of the property. I told him that due to scheduling and current clients that I wouldn’t be able to service the property. Thanked him for reaching out and considering my company. And if scheduling changes I’d be in touch. I’ve got a big seeding/hedge job coming around the bend. I don’t want to fool with that mess of a property.

6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

Sometime no amount of money will make it worth it to fool with.

sjessen, Spartan57 and hort101 like this.
  7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't have to fib...just say no flat out.

JLSLLC, sjessen and GSO LAWNEN4CER like this.
  8. North Idaho Dream

North Idaho Dream LawnSite Platinum Member

Very nice!

JLSLLC likes this.
  9. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

you said it in the title. Hello Mr. Smith I appreciate the call and the opportunity to talk with you. I have to politely decline this job due to my workload at this time. As jobs come in they are on a waitlist in the order they called. If you're willing to wait a few weeks i can certainly accommodate you. TRUST ME IT WORKS and you still get the job.

JLSLLC likes this.
  10. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you price a job so that you will eventually be making decent money on a job this is a very real possibility(and if that's how you price it, you will never be being paid proper for that property).
    If something is a $500 job dont price it at $250 hoping you will have the job for years and years, and eventually get back the $ you left on the table. Most likely you will have also priced the follow up work a bit short and never get back that $. Price that $500 job as a $500 job and make it worth while from the start. If they choose to let you go in the future it has been worth your while for all work you have put in.

When I started out doing this work I agreed to lower prices to get future work, and hated myself and the job as I was doing the job knowing how I was overworking for the pay. It took me nay yrs, but I have finally gotten to the point where I do not negotiate on the price of my work. I check out the job, decide on my price that I'm good with(I don't pad the price, I dont give deals) and give it to the customer. If they don't want to pay it that's fine, there are plenty of guys out there who will work for less. If I'm going to be out there putting in the work, I want to be properly compensated for my time/effort.

hort101 likes this.