How do you handle break downs in the field.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ltdlawn, Aug 9, 2017.

1. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Lmao:laugh:
    Fuel related???

Point40acresandadeere likes this.
  2. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

I'm thinking carburetor(s), but in reality, I'm no mechanic and it could be something totally different. I'm running the same fuel in my hand-held and backpack blowers and they're running solid. All I know is my right side gets one hell of a workout multiple times a day trying to get those damn things to start!

hort101 likes this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

What fuel ,oil, how old is the gas?

4. Todd73

Male, from Florida

89 octane ethanol free. Less than a week old. Amsoil 2-cycle.

hort101 likes this.
  5. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

most of the bigger companies they call and have someone run them a back up unit from their shop , the small guys some have back up units on the truck , others Sol and often have to tell the customer they will be back ( and often there is a new box with a cheap in it when they return ) and then the old one winds up in my hands to fix .or I find it in the trash .. ( often with a plugged fuel system or old spark plug .. )

most of them are poor or NO maintance issues, HAd a sthil chainsaw show up from the guy whos taking down some trees for us , guy changes blades /bars and plug , but it kept dying out under load . looked in tank sawdust slush , cleaned the tank , changed the rattle , new fuel/air pump lines and cleaned the screen in the carb ( often missed item ) , and it starts now one pull stone cold ... guy said it never did that before .. about 3 hours work .. cost him $100 total .

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

just a suggestion get a higher octane and dump your gas tank might have debris in it check the can too
    I had problem running right started using 93 octane less problems
    Had a leaf that would clog fuel filter then unclog run then die again:dizzy:
    Air filter\plug
    Then I'd check carbThumbs Up

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  7. Todd73

Male, from Florida

New plug and air filter. I try the gas and tank.

hort101 likes this.
  8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

Great pointsThumbs UpThumbs Up

9. Voiddweller

Voiddweller LawnSite Member

Both my mowers are under warranty with a same day loaner program. As far as my string trimmer I can pretty much fix it on the fly. Carry a spare carb for everything that is bolt-on ready, spare parts, minor tools on the truck.. So far nothings caused me to loose more than a couple hours worth of work.. (knock on wood)

marcusmac99 likes this.
  10. Carl Rhyne

Carl Rhyne LawnSite Member

Im having issues with this now. i guess with my luck i happen to buy a husqvarna mz52le and both of my local dealers dont carry any parts on hand for it. Im slowly ordering spare parts as time goes on since ive lost two days of work this year due to failures.

I have belts blades and pulleys now. should i go with extra fuel pump? anything else that comes to mind?