1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you handle the rejection of prices?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ThyGentleman, Nov 29, 2017.

1. ThyGentleman

ThyGentleman LawnSite Member

I have had mostly rejection of my prices for fall cleanups the past few weeks. I have been charging roughly $300-$600 for pretty sizable clean ups, meaning a **** ton of leaves.

How do you go about this? Try and negotiate a better price? Take the loss?

I was looking to buy a bigger truck but now I'm second guessing this.

2. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

I handle it simply. I don't go looking for clean up jobs. My time is more profitable doing tree work and other projects this time of year. Plus I hate leaf jobs.

3. ThyGentleman

ThyGentleman LawnSite Member

By next season I will be doing tree work. About to call it a seasons end real soon

4. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

What area are you in? It’s insane how much rejection I get and I do drop my prices this time of year to keep my guys busy. Even some of my better customers for mowing and other services balk at paying a few hundred to have a ton of leaves removed.

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The following may not work in your area. That said, what a lot of guys do here is continue to service the property every 7, 10 or 14 days charging more depending on the time needed to complete the cleanup.

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

My price is my price. Not the cheapest and probably not the most expensive but it is what it is. If a regular maintenance customer decides to utilize someone else for a task they might as well hire them for everything because I am done. To many good customers to worry about the less than good ones.

7. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I never worry about people not accepting my price on any work and certainly do not try to negotiate. My price is my price. Take it or leave it.

8. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

We do service many still weekly or every other, however we can’t just mulch the majority. We are sucking up and hauling off.

sjessen likes this.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The largest companies haul off here as well.

10. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

With tears.

Of joy that is.
    Leaf cleanup gets old in a hurry. I only do 2 people that are non customers.
    And only because I like them personally.