How do you like to bill one-time lawn/cleanup jobs?

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
My first preference is to be paid when the service is completed especially if they are a first time customer. Your idea would be my second choice.

ACA L&L

LawnSite Bronze Member
All first time customers are potential regular customers, with that said all first time customers with no payment historymust put deposit down or pay before i leave the proprty, if they r not gona be home then we set a time for me to return that night to p/u payment, I will bill any customer that has paid me before, be it aeration every fall, leaf clean every fall..........checks or cash. In 10+ years I have 3 customers stone me for payment, and they were all regular contract customers. 2 went bankrupt, one was a doctor who decided that we were not doing a good job.....2 months behind and jobless....funny thing is i see him everywhere, and we still do both houses on either side of his......and he had to pay to lift the lien.....funny what money does to people...

Snapper Jack

LawnSite Senior Member
All first time customers are potential regular customers, with that said all first time customers with no payment historymust put deposit down or pay before i leave the proprty, if they r not gona be home then we set a time for me to return that night to p/u payment, I will bill any customer that has paid me before, be it aeration every fall, leaf clean every fall..........checks or cash. In 10+ years I have 3 customers stone me for payment, and they were all regular contract customers. 2 went bankrupt, one was a doctor who decided that we were not doing a good job.....2 months behind and jobless....funny thing is i see him everywhere, and we still do both houses on either side of his......and he had to pay to lift the lien.....funny what money does to people...
Ditto! for putting the lien on the Doc's property,two can play that game:rolleyes:

1993lx172

LawnSite Bronze Member
I either get payed when I'm done or I mail an invoice

PLS-Tx

LawnSite Silver Member
We get a credit card or debt card #.

Run the card before starting work.

If it's approved we do the work if it's not we don't.

OP
Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
How exactly does that work? Do you have a credit card reader that enables you to see if it goes through? I use Squareup but I think I can only use it to charge.

We get a credit card or debt card #.

Run the card before starting work.

If it's approved we do the work if it's not we don't.