1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you price job for pinestraw and spreading?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnyjay, Jul 31, 2000.

1. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

What is a good formular for bidding on mulching beds with pinestraw?<p>Today, I gave my first bid proposal for mulching a shrubbery bed on a bank at the rear of a residential property. The size of bed I figured to be 1000 sq ft. The bed already has pinestraw from last year which is now less than an inch.<p>I had to make a quick calculation since this is my first mulching proposal. I figured coverage at 50 sq ft per bale at 2 1/2 inches and 20 bales total to do the job. My cost is $2.75 per bale for New Straw. The straw dealer is only 10 minutes away and I would pick up the bales and deliver to the job site. I figured $15 for pu/delivery, $1.00 per bale to spread and I added 50 cents per bale for additional charge to customer. My cost would be $55 for 20 bales. My total bid was $100. This would make it $5 per bale installed.<p>If you use pinestraw for mulching what formula do you use to calculate bids. Thanks in advance for your input.<br> <p><p><font size="1">Edited by: johnnyjay

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I charge $7.50 per bale installed.

3. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

I charge $9.25 per bale installed

4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I charge 6.00 per bale for non contract customers and 5.50 per bale for contract customers. <p>----------<br>Jeff<br>

5. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for replies. This will help me in future in giving bids.<p>Is my estimate correct for 50 sq ft per bale at 2 1/2 inches? Is this depth ok or should it be more or less?<p>What is good estimate for spreading number of bales per hour?