Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning i was talking with my marketing professor, and during the conversation, she asked me how i reward my clients for staying with me. She made it seem like i must give back to them in order to keep them...anyone agree? She said in her business (marketing) she would reward her best clients with a free upgrade to 3 color on a brochure or something like that. I honestly cant think of anything that i could give away in similar fashion. She stressed that i should not put a dollar figure on the reward. So with all that being said, what sort of things do you give back to your clients?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have yet to do this since it is my first year but, I was thinking of sending them holiday cards and thanking them for their business. I also considered doing something for their birthdays or other significant personnel events with a card or something to let them know i appreciate them, while keeping my services in their minds.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Unless you have the budget available to be able to give them a free service occasionally then i think a card at certian holidays or birthdays does fine. That shows them that you're thinking of them which in turn makes them think about you, too.:cool:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
we have always sent holiday cards or thank you cards for referrals.and with any referral we give the original customer a free cutting..

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I give 10% preferred customer discounts. Also, I'll throw in small freebies, like a mum or two planted for free, or maybe a dozen tulip bulbs, things like that. I'll also offer clients extra veggies out of the garden. These little things have paid me great dividends many, many times.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Everyone along my street and within a stones throw gets a free flat of impatiens in the spring, they want it planted they pay planting.

I am going to expand that next year.

There are many, many ways to reward customer loyalty.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I weny into the Electrical biz. I sent all my General contractors a honeybaked ham through the mail during the holidays. Cost me 40 bucks a piece but I have not lost them in the 12 years since . If its a big prop, a gift certificate to outback will work, small prop, a card

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
We do holiday cards also. The only other thing I really do for my clients is try to be as friendly as possible. I have a few that I'm fairly close with and they invite me to kids birthday parties, their picnics,etc.....just the fact that I show up and that I'm social with them other than on the phone and to collect money shows a great deal of professionalism.

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glan, i really like the impatient idea, except i am wanting something for now...so i may do bulbs instead. Yes, cards and small gifts at the holliday are already on the agenda. Any other ideas...im sure some of you get creative.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i reward them by busting my *** on there property all year and making little to no profit lol.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Holiday greeting cards, that's enough. They receive our courteous professional service all year long. In return, we get paid. Maybe they should send us cards?

I truly appreciate most of my customers, as stated before by someone, we treat them well and are friendly to them when we cross paths as well. I enjoy dealing with many of the good people that are still out there. On the other hand, there are some I could care less whether we retain them or not. That's just how they are and there's a line to how much butt I'm kissing. :)

In fact, last year my largest commercial client, the actual owner and the person in charge received a cheese and meat basket worth $50 (made by local meat store, not the retail store specials) and $75 gift certificates at nice restaurants. That was for each of them as well. Can you guess which one of them thanked me? If you guessed neither, you were right. That pretty much lit me up. They are still customers this year, but any type of special treatment is now null and void. They are merely a number on an invoice to me. That is just disrespectful if you ask me.

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by mike9497
i reward them by busting my *** on there property all year and making little to no profit lol.
Mike, i am trying to unseat a large established company here. Just doing my job is not going to do that quickly enough. My marketing professor mentioned a term, Buzz. thats what Im after.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Mac

Bulbs are nice. But what you want is something tangeble. Some thing they see.

Here's a thought. How about you put a pumpkin at the front door of your houses for Halloween, tape your business card to it. Put it there like a week before

If you have a couple very special customers, those that give you alot of extra work. Then what about a small pumpkin display. 2 or 3 Pumpkins and a Mum or two, can add a couple Gourds.

You can also give them a certificate for a Free Azalea planted next spring. ( that would be a come on for continuing with you next year )

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
One thing to cosider with doing this.

1 - Some may think they are paying you to much to be giving out gifts.

2 - It will be expected the following years.

3 - don't go over board, remember it is only a token.

4 - What ever you give make it the same all the average customer, meaning the $ amount they pay you for the season. Just cause you may have a better relationship with one does not mean they get more than a neighbor you never speak with. Cause they speak with each other. Giving something more than the rest is fine as long as the $ paid to you is higher. Neighbors will realize that, they should anyway.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
NC

Details man, we need details.

Where was the party?
How did you invite?
Did you invite all? Their entire family?
Burgers, dogs ?
Soda, Beer ?
Did you go around introducing everyone to each other.

For some reason I am picturing the scene in "Ghostbusters" where Rick Moranis (accountant) Throws a party for his clients.

Did you use the party as a tax right off?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Glan,
Those are some pretty good ideas.

I always do Christmas cards. This year, I'm going to enclose a picture of the customer's home and yard, nicely mowed in the summer with the cards. It will remind them of the work we do, and remind them that summer days are coming when we're covered with snow here.

I also have given some home made Christmas cookies to our best customers in the past.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
We provide consistent .... reliable service .... that's our " reward "
this is ALSO the KEY to a successful growing business .... this is the best way to grow into what your dreams may have ==> Even if it is "unseat a large established company" .... they maybe giving mulch at only cost + 20% for a shopping mall due to the holiday decorations they awarded you .... the labor to install may cost them $1K .... they can afford this ...... don't worry about growing to big too fast

Now kick backs for referrals .... Sure .... Perks for commercial leads .... of coarse .... couple extra flats of flowers .... better price on mulch job or clean up ==>OK

But on the normal resi week in week out every year ... nice X-mas card

On larger 5 figure yearly incomes (commercial) we pack in the flower installs .... thicken up the mulch .... but we rarely point this out to them .... as then it becomes "expected" .... it's just noticable in the quality of the work .... they say .... WOW now that's a flower bed compared to the bank down the road

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.