1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you run your business on the side

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by christw, Feb 11, 2013.

1. christw

christw LawnSite Member
    from pa

How do you go about running a business on the side if say you have a full time job and goto school?

2. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

By working a lot of hours

3. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

I did this last year. I had a full time job and was mowing everynight after work and every saturday it seemed like. I tried to give myself sundays off but it rarely happened. Its nice cause you have alot of extra money, but it is hard to manage everything. You can definitely learn a lot about time management, though, by doing this. Best of luck to ya.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

4. christw

christw LawnSite Member
    from pa

thanks guys

5. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i did it part time while i worked overnight shift. I would get to my night job at 11pm work till i was done, usually until around 9 or 10 a.m. if i was lucky. did lawn care work from time i got off, or worked on business stuff till around 4pm everyday, slept from 5pm to 10pm most of the time. that got old though, i got to where i couldn't sleep hardly at all.. and it was like living in a fog. they pushed my hours at work to 12+ hours at one point, and it was hard to do both because by the time i got to my equipment it was 2pm and i needed to figure out when i was gonna get sleep. It was much easier to work a 6a.m to 3pm gig and then yards in the afternoon, thats the ticket right there...

6. H & M Yard Improvements

H & M Yard Improvements LawnSite Member

That would suck when fall approaches and you have to do leaf clean ups after work (3pm). Especially when it gets dark by about 5:00.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I dealt with that for all of last year because of going to school. Made it work but I was always under the gun time wise.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Go full time.....life's to short to kill yourself.

9. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

That would be hard shift to run a side business. I use to work 10:30PM to 7:00AM before I started my business. Now I work 6:30 to 3:00 which is perfect except in the fall. I go in early at 4:30 and take a half a day vacation and get out at 8:30. I only have one leaf job that can be done in two hours. Most take fours plus. Night shift sucks but that is the reason I started my business. Eight years of night shift is long enough. Best of luck on getting that ticket shift!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, i did around 8 or 9 years of night shift too. I quit at the end of last year when they couldn't move me to days. then i heard that after i left, they got kinda mad that so many senior guys left, they got rid of night shift, and put everybody on rotating 4's.. if i would have stayed i would have been able to work 6a.m. to 4pm sunday - wed. with thursday through saturday off. to late for me now.. kinda makes me mad though.