Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was just wondering how those of u who have enclosed trailers secure your mowers? Do you use tie-downs,wheel chocks,etc? I cant decide how to do this because i dont really want to have to use ratchet tiedowns every time i load and unload my mowers.

·
Registered
743 Posts
PRO-LOCKER the one and the only. :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
You guys are nuts not using anything to secure your equipment. All it takes is one mishap (not necessarily your fault) to lose thousands in equipment. I currently use ratchet straps, but am planning on getting pro lockers when I get around to it.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
lqmustang said:
You guys are nuts not using anything to secure your equipment. All it takes is one mishap (not necessarily your fault) to lose thousands in equipment. I currently use ratchet straps, but am planning on getting pro lockers when I get around to it.
How are you going to lose your equipment in an enclosed trailer? If i lose mine something has gone really wrong. I screwed 2x4s down just so the mowers woundnt slide and make it harder to get on them at the next lawn.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I have 3 mowers, 3 wheel barrows, bunch of hand tools, power washer and some other stuff that is in my trailer at all times. only thing i did was screw 2x4's to the floor infront the wb wheels, and behind the wheels, and between the front and back wheels. I just bunji all the handtools together (rakes in one bunji, shovels in another, etc). Everything stays intact, which im suprised, im really suprised that the wheels barrows stay intheir place.

I plan on getting some prolockers very soon. No matter what stuff can fly out of the trailer if it was impacted enough, not to mention either killing someone, or even just breaking a bunch of your equipment if it was sliding around. A trailer traveling at 60mph can stop, the stuff inside cant, unless you secure it down. The only thing 2x4's do, atleast from what I can tell, is help it from sliding around, if I had a hard enough impact, for sure it'd come right through the trailer, maybe.

·
Registered
620 Posts
lawnman_scott said:
How are you going to lose your equipment in an enclosed trailer? If i lose mine something has gone really wrong. I screwed 2x4s down just so the mowers woundnt slide and make it harder to get on them at the next lawn.
An enclosed trailer may give you more equipment safety than an open, but with the cost of equipment, I would rather be safe than sorry. It only takes a few seconds to secure it all down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't have en enclosed trailer, but I was on the way to mow today. I had to take this rough, narrow road that I dread. I only have a 4x8 trailer right now, and thank god it was nothing bigger. It is a 2 lane road, but my '94 Chevy pickup has about 7 inches on the right side if I am riding on the yellow line. I had my crapsman on the back strapped down with 3 straps, one ratchet across the back, and 2 on the front. Coming aroudn a curve I met a 3 log trucks in a row, they were basically in the middle of the road, and I can't blame them, cause it's the only way they fit on it.

I had to take the ditch and it got pretty rough, it broke 2 of the three ratchet strap and unlocked the parking brake on the mower, spilled my ice chest and turned over a gas can in the back of my truck. I have a CB in my pickup and one of the truck drivers said the back of the mower bounced about 3 feet off the trailer.

I pulled over and got my gas can turned over, lost probably 2 gallons, and got my ice chest turned back right and I lost most of the ice, but the water was all over the back of the truck. Let's just say the day was off to a rough start.

·
Registered
136 Posts
An object in motion, stays in motion. 2x4's work great until something really goes wrong. The walls of an enclosed trailer are strong enough for what they are designed for. There is no way that they would stop 500 pound machine from coming crashing through them in the case of an accident. Even if the walls were able to stop a machine from exiting the trailer I would imagine things would be pretty mangled inside. Take the whole minute or so it takes to put a simple ratchet strap or other means of securing a machine on. I am not sure what the laws are about having unsecured equipment in an enclosed trailer but with open trailers you can get some pretty hefty fines for not having equipment secured properly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks to the Florida DOT we purchased the following items: Safety gas cans with hold downs, Tie down straps for all wheeled equipment (except wheel barrows). We use the tie downs from green touch industries (I think it is the same thing as fast straps). They work great and don't add any time to load/unload. Came in handy recently when we got rear-ended in the trailer.

Yeah....FLA DOT checks landscapers down here every so often. Got away with just a warning but after he explained what the fine could of been it was a lot less expensive to get the right equipment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I transport two 60" ZTRs, a 52" walk behind, and a lawn boy. If you're having trouble keeping your mowers in place, your parking brakes are out of adjustment, or you're driving way too fast, hitting curbs, going off the road, etc. Every time I change the oil in the mowers, thats one of many things I adjust, if nessesary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.