Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never sharpened blades before. Is there some type of manual on the guidelines? What equipment is needed? Does anyone have a step by step procedure?

All help is appreciated.
Troy

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you can find a friend to do it for nothing. I have mine out right now for sharpening. I think you just need a grinding wheel and knowledge of how to do it. If you don't just do what I did

·
Registered
932 Posts
hey Win1free,

Sharpening the blades are fairly simple with a bench grinder or angle grinder. Just take it slow, and make them even on both sides to help keep them balanced. It just takes a little practice, so take your time, and get an extra blade or two, this way you never have to rush a sharpening, you'll always have one ready.

·
Registered
51 Posts
good question, I was about to ask the same thing, here in north FL the sand really eats the blades up! I take them to the shop and let them sharpen them, as I dont have a grinder. so maybe I should get a grinder? save some money? I just dont seem have the time to do this. I dont know, is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I use a file, but you can use a grindstone too, and going down against the blade edge, following the angle of the blade edge till it's smooth ( even out the rough spots) and sharp. Next and almost as important, I then balance the blade ( i use a C-clamp handle ) in the middle, and make sure it's balanced. This keeps your mower running smoothly. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by roadhawg3
so maybe I should get a grinder? save some money? I just dont seem have the time to do this. I dont know, is it worth it?
you should find time to do it, it is practically a requirement in our field of work. paying someone to do it is silly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
yeah, your right I should sharpen my own blades, but I only have a few regular mowing jobs, I do quite a lot of tree work , and I must admit that I dont even sharpen my chain saws anymore, I keep extra chains with me, and when they get dull back to the shop they go, but wait it gets worse, back in the day I use to do all my own vehicle maintenance, change my own oil etc, not anymore, I take everything to the "Jiffy Lube". I must be getting
"old"? I dont know, but to be honest, I just dont have the time to fool with all that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sharpen my blades with a wheel grinder...just try to keep the initial factory angle on the blade. I always have several sharp blades ready and take a couple with me while we are out mowing. Also, for me the cost of new blades is only about $6 (21" blades) so I only sharpen a blade 2 or 3 times before going to a new blade.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use an old Sears 6"x48" belt sander. I mentioned this few years ago and a few tried a 4"x36" sander and said they worked well also. Plus you can use them for a lot of other things too. With the good 3M or other brand blue belts, for metal removal, the blades stay very cool. Don't buy the really cheap no name sanders or belts.
Grateful

·
Registered
264 Posts
DeWalt grinder. I think it is a 3" blade..... A tool bench and clamp, safety glasses. A lot of people use blade balancers, etc. I don't. You can use your own judgement. i have been told that on Walker mowers if the blades are off balance it will wear the gear boxes. I have not experienced that problem yet.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have a neighbor who worked at a metal shop all his life (works partime their now, gives him something to do) and he sharpens them for free. Tried paying him a few times but he refused. He gets them really sharp and knows how to get all the nicks out of them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
For an inexpensive setup, go to Lowes and buy an OEM (that's the name of it) 4 1/2" grinder for $24 (or any 4 - 4 1/2" grinder) and get a 4 1/2" flapper wheel to go with it for around $7. The flapper wheel lasts a long time and is safer than any solid material disk. (The flapper wheel has a bunch of pieces of sandpaper overlapping each other on it. As the top layer wears it exposes a new layer of sandpaper underneath).
Lock the blade in a bench vise and get sharpening.
I use a #60 grit flapper wheel that does a great job!
It doesn't take off too much material so it's easy to follow the original angle.
For $31 you can't go wrong, sure beats a $500 blade grinder!!!
And go with the flapper wheel over a grinding wheel or cut-off disk it works great!!!
It's easy to get the blade pretty close to "razor sharp" in less than a minute per blade once you get the hang of it.
As far as balancing goes (which you should do) there is this little plastic balancer that you could find at most True Value stores for under $5, it works better than hanging the blade on a nail. It works similar to the older static wheel balancers used to balance the wheels on your truck before the spin balancers became so popular. Just make sure it’s on a level surface or you’ll think all your blades are out of balance. Then just grind some material off the side that hangs low!
Sure beats a deck that vibrates like crazy!!!
Just my three cents.

·
Registered
94 Posts
phenomenomm,

How long does it take to sharpen one blade with a dremel, I can't see it being too fast, and what do you sharpen it with, a mini grinding wheel, sandpaper ???
How often are you replacing the griding wheel or what ever you use with it?

Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.