1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you solo app guys handle aeration?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PKLIP, Oct 12, 2018.

1. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

How do you solo fert/weed control application guys handle clients who want aerations? It is very time consuming and with a high volume of clients, the labor requirements make it impossible. Clients in my area are so accustomed to this service, they expect it. I considered offering just overseeding in addition to fert/weed control to make our turf dept "standalone" with one tech and maybe a helper. Is liquid aeration + overseeding a possibility? Does anyone have experience with Air8 as a substitute? Could Air8 be integrated into a regular maintenance program, with mechanical aeration be performed every 2-3 years instead of annualy? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

I offer aeration in the fall and spring. I only book 60 per cycle. I aerate Thursday Friday and Saturdays till that 60 is done. Also I use a stand on aerator. This cuts down on the time it takes to do an aeration. I use it also for folks who get blasted by fungus as an up sell to aerate and overseed those areas damaged by fungus. It can be done.

PKLIP likes this.
  3. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

Great idea, I was thinking the same. Limit the amount of people to sign up and condense them into a week or two period of time and then just plan accordingly with the applications schedule. Down the line a ride on aerator seems like the only way to go.

From what I understand, you have an established business with a lot of clients. How do you handle new potential clients? Does it turn away business from the app side letting them know you cant help with the aeration? To be honest, this is what I am most concerned about.

4. Marine03112

Well the lawns that I think need an aeration for whatever reason I will leave them an aeration flyer. If they specifically ask I will do it from them. I really don’t let everyone know it’s available. I market the easy aeration for a standon. if your solo a standon will be a must. But your going to need a trim aerator also. Keep that in mind. Need to get into 36 in gates. Toro makes a small one. That might be a good one to start with. How many customers do you have. I am maxed out atm at 620. But I make it work.

5. Marine03112

I don’t take any new work at all. I am maxed out.

6. Marine03112

Tbh I finally have to hire next year

7. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I do the same thing as marine , a few days a week goes towards aeration and a few towards fertilizer just so I don’t get to behind. Any rain days I am aerating and seeding if it isn’t raining cats n dogs, plenty of those this year. I don’t advertise this service to every client, just thin lawns and heavy thatch. I did about 40 lawns this year, I keep my list and advertise the service to different ppl next year. It doesn’t need to be done every year, every 2-3 years. I also work with 4-5 landscapers who do everything but fertilize , they aerate a lot of there lawns as well and if there client needs it I sell it for them. I don’t mind subbing out aeration if I can’t handle them all, saves me weed control and tons of time the following season. Less time spent making mixes , less weed pressure, no crabgrass to be sprayed with a handcan. Aeration is big money and benefits the lawn more than any other service imo, it really needs to be offered.

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Its not easy that's for sure, I do half in the spring and half in the fall. I take advantage of the days that are too wet to fert and aerate on the weekends and holidays. I have a hydro walk behind and a monster woods 3 point hitch unit for my tractor. Im waiting to see this new compact ride on in the works from stinger equipment, this unit could substantially increase aeration production if it fits through a standard gate?

9. Stinger Equipment

Stinger Equipment Sponsor

48” wide...does that fit though a gate?

This is our Quad-Aer 30” we are showing this week at GIE. Come give it a spin.

E2DC1445-CAA5-4A3F-AB99-A9DA8C79324A.jpeg

10. Marine03112

Dear Stinger, are you all still planning on a spreader sprayer? I will be in the market for another. If not I will be getting another toro. Thanks in advance.