1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How does this sound...

Discussion in 'Employment' started by FLC2000, Mar 27, 2017.

1. FLC2000

FLC2000 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is what I just posted on Indeed. Please critique. I know we will have some difference on pay rate but lots of companies start out around 10-12 per hour around here so I feel that my rate is competitive.

Foley's Lawn Care in Shawnee is hiring.

We service residential and commercial accounts throughout Johnson County. We service about 100-110 properties a week. From postage stamp yards to 1 acre properties.

What we are looking for:

• Responsible hard working individuals who take pride in themselves and their work.
    • Ability to work long hours in adverse conditions.
    • Ability to lift 50 lbs or more.
    • Ability to be on time daily.
    • Valid drivers license with a clean record. (No major infractions i.e. DUI).
    • Flexibility when it comes to rain.
    • Reliable transportation to and from work.
    • Good knowledge of how to get around Johnson County Kansas
    • Any sort of irrigation or mechanical knowledge is not required but does help.
    What we will offer:

• Weekly paychecks on Friday.
    • 1 weeks paid vacation after a year of continuous employment
    • Company shirts and hoodies
    • Raise consideration after 30 days of showing up on time
    • Advancement in a smaller company looking to grow
    Foley's Lawn Care offers mowing, landscaping, gutter cleaning, turf renovation and snow removal. You must be willing to do different jobs when called upon. In the mowing season we start work at 7:30 AM and work till the jobs are done. We are a smaller company that has close relationships with all our customers.

If this job interests you please submit a resume.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: $11.50 /hour

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I'd say that's ok for 0 experience and you'll attract that imo I'd add possible more$$ for experience.also try to get team player s with good attitudes.also what are the job duties is this for just mowing?Thumbs Up

GrassManKzoo and FLC2000 like this.
  3. FLC2000

I did add at the bottom what other things we do outside of just mowing.

hort101 likes this.
  4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I also might do another ad for a little more$$ so you might find someone that's not bottom of the barrel depending on your needs :)hiring is always tuff ime

FLC2000 likes this.
  5. h&m GARDENS

h&m GARDENS LawnSite Member
    Female, from Newport, ri

quick question because this kinda bugs me! Is the person who you hire for this going to have to operate your vehicles? If not, can you explain why someone who has had a DUI would not be considered for this position?

stringfellohawk likes this.
  6. FLC2000

For now no. But there's always a possibility that he might have to sooner or later. DUIs are hard to insure. If its from 10 years ago its probably fallen off in KS but anything in the last couple years is expensive.

Even if I just need to him to run to get some mulch or gas up the equipment could lead to him being in an accident. Whether its their fault or not he would still have to be covered.

Personally I'm fine with a DUI. I got one 20+ years ago and I blew a .089 which is just barely above the legal limits. Obviously all circumstances are different but its really just the money of insuring them that would be to high.

hort101 likes this.
  7. h&m GARDENS

h&m GARDENS LawnSite Member
    Female, from Newport, ri

AH!! Ok, I hadn't considered the insurance end of things. Thank you, that makes total sense to me. I also had a DUI and blew around the same as you about 1/4 mile from my driveway 5 years ago! sigh... however it was "without finding" so after probationary period, it does not show on my record.

FLC2000, Darryl G and hort101 like this.
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

You have to be a bit careful with excluding people from employment for criminal records. A DUI is not a traffic related infraction, it is a criminal misdemeanor. If you employ 15 or more employees you fall under the Equal Opportunity stuff and can't automatically exclude people with criminal records. Yes, you can still deny them employment if their conviction has a bearing on their job, but you have to consider the whole picture. I'm guessing that with the number of accounts the OP has that he's below 15 employees though and the EEOC stuff isn't applicable. Worth a mention regardless IMO.

hort101 and FLC2000 like this.
  9. FLC2000

That is correct. Right now I have 2 FTers and would like to add a 3rd.

hort101 and Darryl G like this.
  10. PDLlandscaping

PDLlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NEPA

It shows poor judgment at the very least.