How does TruGreen know sq. feet of Lawn without coming out?

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm assuming they use some kind of program along with google maps. My lawn fertilization/weed control is taking off faster then expected, and I'm getting sick of going to every single house and walk-measuring every property to give a estimate, when about 1/4th of my contracts are even signed anyway.

Does anyone use any programs that help with this? Thanks for your help, and I can't wait for spring! :usflag:

OP
L

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
Wow, I just looked at goilawn.com. There is no way I can afford to pay $1.50 per lawn measurement. With getting 1/4th of every contact excepted, thats $6 of overhead on every excepted contract. To expencive.. Does anyone know of anything simular thats more cost effective?

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Wow, I just looked at goilawn.com. There is no way I can afford to pay $1.50 per lawn measurement. With getting 1/4th of every contact excepted, thats $6 of overhead on every excepted contract. To expencive.. Does anyone know of anything simular thats more cost effective?

What are your costs to physically measure each site?

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
My brothers GIS program. Its free.

OP
L

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
My brothers GIS program. Its free.

How does that help me? lol

It probably costs me $1.50 in gas to measure each property, plus time. However, there is something much more personal about that, and I can also chat with the customers.

I was hoping to find a service for a set monthly rate.

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
I don't know of any service than the one previously mentioned. Chatting with costumers is the best way to seal a deal though.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Ha, Ha, Ha......Trugreen. Several of my (former Trugreen) customers said that Trugreen just uses the county GIS website (aerial photos) to estimate sq footage. I compared my wheeled measurements vs. Trugreen's estimates and they are way off on some. I personally tried using this website to estimate but the scale is just not trustworthy nor very accurate.

Really, with a nice wheel it is so easy to measure lawns its not funny. Just break it up into squares and triangles. The fact that Trugreen wont do this is lazy and is why I am picking up some of their customers.

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
It will be the year 3000 and they will still be around. LOL

Top Forums