1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How early do you aerate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Feb 24, 2004.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

How early do some of you do your spring aeration? I'm going to put down some 19-0-6 with Dimension sometime this week. If it is dry enough would it be ok to go ahead and aerate now are should I wait until the grass is about to start growing?

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Without getting into a long technical explanation (which has beeen done here before) it is not beneficial to aerate a lawn unless it is actively growing.
    There is no microbial activity, no root growth, no photosynthesis taking place, oh there I go.
    I'd wait until it starts to grow. Good Luck

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, how late? I don't do any spring aerations. I rather save that service for the fall for overseeding. I am too worried about preventing crabgrass in the spring to deal with seeding.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't put any pre-m down until after you've aerated, all you're doing is punching holes in the barrier. Is there a reason why you are putting Dimension down so early?

5. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with Lbilawncare. When you pull a plug out of the soil, you'll pull up weed seeds too. if you pre-m before you aerate, you;ll have just as many weeds coming up as if you hadn't pre-m'ed at all.

6. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

According to the Un. of Georgia turf managment course I'm taking aerating doesn't have a significant affect on pre-m. Dethatching does dut aerating doesn't.

7. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I areate in the fall, not now.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

There is nothing wrong with aerating in the spring. It is best in the fall, but some people like to have their lawns aerated twice a year. I would take the others advice and wait and apply your Pre-M after you aerate. I would also wait untill the lawn is actively growing.

If the lawn is weedy, I would wait untill you get them under control and aerate in the fall.