How exactly do I become a Licenced Landscape Contractor

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Waterscapes By Design, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. Waterscapes By Design

    Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member
    Messages: 237

    Is there actually classes or certifications for this?? Or as long as I am a licensed and insured businessman I can say that and advertise like that??
    Give me some links, or places to go to find this out, I live in Florida if that helps any.....And yes, I am licensed and Insured ;)
  2. N&CLandscaping

    N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 359

    Is there classes for what? you already said you are licend and insured?
  3. FLAhaulboy

    FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 852

    contact the County Extension Office in your area. some junior colleges offer landscaping programs (in Florida)
  4. General Landscaping

    General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 801

    I don't think the state has any regulations on landscaping. There is no state license I'm aware of.

    Your county will be the regulating party.
    If things over there are anything like over here, you may be locked out of several landscape activities.... pavers, irrigation, fence, etc.
    Check w/ your county tax collector and building department. (Tax collector handles occupational license over here)
  5. Waterscapes By Design

    Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member
    Messages: 237

    Yeah, I see "landscape contractor" on the sides of a lot of vehicles and whatnot.....But, I guess what I was thinking is that, to be a "contractor" in like construction or a/c, or things like that, ya actually have to take a test, be in the business for a few years, and pass a few other requirements, or to even be a subcontractor, ya have to file ya know.?
    Is it not the same for landscapers? No test, no having to work for someone for a certain amount of years before getting that title or anything? As long as I am licensed through the county in which I live and have commercial insurance I can say I am a "Landscape Contractor"???
  6. Team-Green L&L

    Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,775

    I think he's looking to be a Landscape Architect? College for 4 great years is the only way.
  7. General Landscaping

    General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 801

    Try calling around and ask your friendly county people questions like "how do I know a landscape contractor is licensed" or " Is a landscape company allowed to do XXXX or do I need a landscape contractor?" You should be able to put together enough pieces to get you going in the right direction.
    Maybe you'll get lucky and find a person that can answer questions and provide the references to back them up.:laugh:
  8. prostriper

    prostriper LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 336

  9. Tim Wright

    Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,034

    Here is West Virginia it is the state Labor Board where we get our Landscape Contractors License. Do not confuse the contractors license with a business license. We need both. That is why I am a Licensed Landscape Contractor with an LLC business license.

    My Landscape Contractors License limits my scope of work. I cannot build a load bearing wall over 6 ft, nor can I dig hole for a basement. I can do excavating for landscape purposes, to include walls, walks, irrigation, drains, planting, yard installs, etc.

    I would think that the easiest way to find out is ask a friend who is a building contactor/general contractor, and my guess is that the same governmental body is going to have jurisdiction over the landscaping contractor license also.

  10. Waterscapes By Design

    Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member
    Messages: 237

    TIM WRIGHT, I really appreciate that post! Thats what I was getting at, I apologize if I was vague in the question to anyone before, but thats the explanation I was looking for, BIG HELP man...

    Now did you personally just have to apply for the license and they ask you what exactly you are wanting to do, or did ya have to take a test on local codes for that as well? On stuff like wall structures, retaining walls, or anything like that?

Share This Page