1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How far do you travel to cut???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Jan 1, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

Another post has just got me wondering if maybe I am holding the growth of my buisness up by not covering a lot more areas. We are busy nhere in town really four good days to get things done in our current route which is within a small town and appx go only seven maybe ten max miles from home base. We are surronded by several other towns that are larger and smaller but good size towns. I would have to run another crew but finding help belive it or not isnt to bad of a problem here. What is the distance you guys/girls travel to mow..should I think about gowing 20 to 25 miles for accounts????

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We run up to 40 miles from home for residential (maintain develoments)6 or more homes in associations, same with condos and town houses that generate from $6,000.00 to $20,000.00 a year (for summer only) Businesses we are around 25 miles all summer. For our winter all residential homes are 5 miles in each direction from home and commercial and condo year round we will travel up to 10 miles for the other properties over these numbers we sub-contract the plowing out but keep the sanding business and add 5% to 10% over sub-contracters price so we will profit also.

3. A CUT ABOVE

A CUT ABOVE LawnSite Member

We run about 65 miles to do a chain of 29 convenience stores that bring in around $2,000 per month. We also run about 60 miles once a month to do a job that brings in about $7,000 per month. All residentials are within 10 miles of home.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Right now the farthest we go is about 8 miles. That is for only two $200/month lawns. Other than that, everything is within 4 miles.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I read in a trade magazine about a successful lawn company that only stays in a 3 mile radius!

6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have to say that everything is within 7-10 miles at this point. I live just outside town, so it's 3 miles just into the city, and then everything is with the 5-6 miles of the city limits.

I've consolidated my routes a lot in the last six months, but can see myself branching out to the other small towns in our area if A) The money is really good, and B) I can get consecutive accounts to make the journey a worthwhile one...

-TGC

7. Closest account is about a mile from home, the furtherest one is 8 miles out in the country.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I could ride the mower to at least 50% of my accounts in less than ten minutes if I had to :D

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No accounts more than 15-20 minutes from home. I used to travel up to 30-40 minutes in each direction, but now I have condensed it down so 90% of my work is within 5 to 10 minutes away, and two of my commercials are about 20 minutes out and right by the expressway. This is a BIG help on road time!

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I only travel in a 4 mile radius of home.I have my eyes on some big industrial sites with good size lawns about 10 miles away.My buddy with 2 crews and 4 Dixie choppers,2 exmark WBs travels in a 25+ mile radius.he is very successful,IMO.