How far out do you schedule?

knoxJRM

LawnSite Senior Member
Good Morning Green Machines,

I am curious as to how far out you guys schedule. I am currently at 2- 2 man maintenance crews, 1 - 1 man maintenance crew, and a 2 man install crew. With our maintenance routes kicking off this coming week I am losing a lot of my help with installs. Looking at it this morning we have 56 install jobs lined up that would take my two man install crew, which I lead, roughly 18-40 hour weeks. So, no new work scheduled until mid-July. I do not believe the spring wave has hit as far as new install calls go. Easy answer is hire more help or get temporary help. I’m not interested in temp help. I would like to and am actively pursuing hiring an install crew leader to take my place and I work on smaller one man installs and “manage the business” better. But, I am curious how your experience has been with scheduling customers say 16-20 weeks out. We raised our rates in January to help with our full schedule. It didn’t really hinder our job acceptance rate. So, I have raised rates again this month. The issue is a lot of these new calls come from great long term customers. It’s tough to look at them and say, “Yes, we can get to that in 4 months”. Is hiring more installers my best option, that is terrifying to me with the labor market as it is right now.

I appreciate your time in reading this and any replies!

OP
K

knoxJRM

LawnSite Senior Member
Went through my schedule and if we were able to work solid without weather or employee issues I am looking at 10-12 weeks out. So more realistically 12-14 weeks. Maybe not as bad as I first thought. Our estimates give service dates and clients are accepting them....so far so good.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
It depends what your long term goals are. Are you in it for a simple business with good short term profits or are you wanting growth which comes with challenges but long term profits.
Short term- raise prices.
long term- hire more people.

OP
K

knoxJRM

LawnSite Senior Member
It depends what your long term goals are. Are you in it for a simple business with good short term profits or are you wanting growth which comes with challenges but long term profits.
Short term- raise prices.
long term- hire more people.
We grew aggressively last year. I just added an employee last week. I guess I was considering maintaining the growth we had last year, while educating my help better before we took off on another growth. But, I do not want to miss the opportunity to acquire great long term customers either. I know it is one of those things only I can decide. I just appreciate hearing from everyone’s experiences.

Top Forums