Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how far south you can go and still stripe grass? It is my understanding that some “Southern” grass won’t stripe. Can the grass types in South Carolina and Georgia be striped with an Exmark roller? Anyone in SC or GA have any experience with an Exmark roller?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I from northeast OK and the lco's around here never worry about stripes for one the lawns that are fescue right now unless your watering an inch a day are brown because of the heat. Bermuda lawns don't stripe, zoysia lawns will a little most are mowed so short that they don't stripe that well. I Started my first lco in mar. 1986 been back in the biz. since 1998 never heard of stripes until I found lawnsite people around here don't care. :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
T.E. is correct. Here in Oklahoma I never see striping. I recently went to Kansas City and noticed beautiful stripes on most properties. We just dont have the best grass type for that here. Oh well, one less thing to worry about.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Well, deep deep deep in the south, noone know what stripes are, until you mention "You know, like a baseball field" ' Ahhh '

Well that's all about to change, even if I have to PAINT them on my lawns. I want my jobs to stick out like a fart in church. Going to be tough because most of our grasses are centipede and St. Aug. Where there's a will....( I want to be in it) hehe

~Nest

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm in Wichita, KS. There is striping here but not from rollers...at work we will go the same stripe each week with our walkers to get our stripe. Some lawns you can put an awesome stripe on every week no matter which way you go with it. Then again, some lawn won't stripe at all.

Just depends.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Im in st Pete/Clearwater FL. St Augustine grass wont stripe, its too firm and thick i think. Most people from up north think its alot like crabgrass, but its really not. The bahia is finer, and i guess it coould stripe, but most lawns that are bahia around here are mostly weedy bad lawns.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I stripe here in East Tennessee. All of my current lawns are fescue. Most all LCO's i see working in my area stripe as well.

·
LawnSite Addict
1,405 Posts
Most LCO's around here dont know what a stripe is, but I stripe mine the best that I can. Zoysia stripes the best down here,with Centipede and Bermuda running a close second. St. Augustine will stripe a little but dont last long. There are very few Fescue lawns here, but they will stripe reasonably. I have some pics of Zoysia stripes (no roller or attachments) on this site somewhere......:cool:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm in NW Indiana which is AWESOME striping grass. Had some relatives from Florida here and was showing off the mower. I'm like look at those stripes. I had to explain what I was talking about. They told me you don't see those in Florida.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
When the planets are aligned just right, you can get some striping action on a St. Augustine lawn ;) It's more common to get it in shady areas cut relatively high, but it can happen in full sun Floratam lawns...but rarely. As mentioned above it doesn't last long, and compared to what you guys up north can do, you might not even call it a stripe :eek:

Bahia can stripe, especially a thin Pensacola Bahia yard that is cut a little higher than normal. I have a lawn a bit over an acre we picked up a couple weeks back that striped like mad (at least for here) the last couple times we cut it. I'll take a picture of it next time we go. I'll try to get a St. Augustine lawn to stripe next week as well and get a picture of that too. I have one picture of a striped St. Sugustine lawn, but I have posted it so many times, I am sure everyone has seen it already :)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I promised bahia stripes, but the one that really stripes well, was pretty much ripped up this week :eek: The woman's son-in-law was doing irrigation and landscaping in part of the lawn, so I have none to post this week.

I got bored and went out and cut my own lawn a couple hours ago with the 36 Metro to see if I could get a little striping action going. Here's the pics:

Plant Tire Wheel Car Property

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice job Keith. We get stripes on healthy St. Augustine and Bahaia up here in Gainesville. It depends on how hearty the lawn is. Spindlier stuff just won't cut it.

My own personal lawn is about half Bahaia and half Persley Turf. The Persley doesn't stripe well even though it is very healthy.

One day I will try and get some pics of some of our nicer accounts. Most of our lawns are too small and/or odd-shaped to get any striping done, but we do have a few that we like to lay them down on (for our own amusment, not at the customers' request)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.