1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How Far Will You Travel for Lawn Accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloSulkySurfer, Apr 21, 2008.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

So far I have kept all my accounts about 10 mins or closer from my house. But recently I have been giving alot of estimates about 15+ mins away. How far is to far? How much do You charge for travel time in a estimate? Im sure that some guys who work in more rural areas would be happy to travel 15 mins between jobs.

These lawns are mostly 50' by 100' lots that I normally price at 32.10, if they are 15 mins away I have been charging 36.75 is that fair? All are within 10 mins of other yards. Oh and save me the "wont drop my gate for $30 BS.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

At this point, I'd drive 30min just to get a account! :rolleyes:

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I guess the LCO's in west Texas would be out of work. That's one big disadvantage of living in a rural area. This year I have about a 18 mile route that I try not to venture far from. Most of my work is in two towns about 7 miles apart. But I have went as far as 45 minutes for a bank I worked for but i charged them for it. Sometimes I envy those that work on one street or block all day but then again we rarely ever have any traffic problems.

4. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

what's with the $32.10? how did you come to that amount? does that 10 cents really make a difference? i find it a little hard to believe anyone has the figures of operating costs narrowed down to that degree.

5. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I just gave the amount with sales tax. I guess Im just use to giving estimates that way, otherwise some customers get pissed when I add the tax to the bill :hammerhead::hammerhead: Its really $30 and $35. thanks

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I would consider myself in a rural area and 15 mins not an issue. See what you get and try to market that area more so your doing 3 jobs 15 mins away to justify the drive.

FYI I drive a extra 30 miles for one account that takes 3 hrs but it is a 12 month contract that pays $350 a time. So a morning a week to cover the mortgage isn't that bad.

7. ALC-GregH

from PA

what tax? I was told by a cpa here local that I shouldn't be charging sales tax to do labor only jobs.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Some states charge tax on labor. We will probably get it eventually while they try to figure out how to balance a budget. They tried to raise a cigarette tax but that doesn't go over very well in tobacco country.

9. SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE

SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

In NJ you charge sales tax on lawn mowing if you are legit.:walking:

10. ALC-GregH

from PA

gotcha....