Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
53,871 Posts
Just make sure you are cutting less than a 1/4 inch of the top with sharp blades and not worry about pushing the grass over a little bit cutting when the grass is dry and I am sure you could mow that fast.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I dont go fast, I perfer a moderate speed. I also think it gives a bad perception to customer if your flying through the yard.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would say that those speeds are best suited, in driving from one mowing area to another.
The only place I could mow that fast,, is the asphalt parking lot, that has grass clippings on it! :laugh: Shoot my mower is 7MPH and I Never mow at full speed!

·
Registered
17,427 Posts
would have to be really big and smooth yard or it will bounce you off the mower at 16mph lol...mine goes 10.5mph top speed and i've yet to cut at full speed...it's just too bumpy if you do...a good speed is like 7-8mph on most yards...some smaller yards you don't have room to even go that fast...you have to cut them at like 5mph.

·
Registered
24,808 Posts
I don't care what the blade tip speed is, or who made the mower, if you go anywhere near that fast, you simply don't have the blades in the same spot long enough to ensure that you won't have skips, or scragglers left behind.

You might be able to cut at the speed in thin, dry grass while only removing an inch or less, but the quality of the cut still won't be as good as mowing at a slower speed.

I know time is money, but so is doing quality work.

JMO YMMV

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Top speed means nothing, all ztrs go plenty fast. Manufacturers need to spend their time coming up with new ideas and less time on being the fastest lawnmower. We can only mow so fast, conditions don't allow any faster.

Reactions: weeze

·
Registered
24,808 Posts
Top speed means nothing, all ztrs go plenty fast. Manufacturers need to spend their time coming up with new ideas and less time on being the fastest lawnmower. We can only mow so fast, conditions don't allow any faster.
Well said!
To put my point earlier into perspective-
I can hang onto the handle of my push mower while driving my truck across the lawn at 40 MPH. It doen't mean much other than I just mowed faster than the next guy/brand.:rolleyes: (until he does the same thing at 50 MPH LOL)

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Well said!
To put my point earlier into perspective-
I can hang onto the handle of my push mower while driving my truck across the lawn at 40 MPH. It doen't mean much other than I just mowed faster than the next guy/brand.:rolleyes: (until he does the same thing at 50 MPH LOL)
Ha that just gave me an idea. Mower decks for trucks...lol I bet i could fit a 20' deck under my truck and but a 80hp Cat diesel in the bed to power it. My speedometer goes up to 110mph? I'd have them all beat. Now wouldn't that kick butt.

·
Registered
24,808 Posts
Ha that just gave me an idea. Mower decks for trucks...lol I bet i could fit a 20' deck under my truck and but a 80hp Cat diesel in the bed to power it. My speedometer goes up to 110mph? I'd have them all beat. Now wouldn't that kick butt.
ROTF LMAO :laugh::laugh::laugh:

An acre a minute!!

Reached the end of a row? Hit the throttle, crank the wheel and do a powered zero turn. Yea, that's the ticket!!

·
Banned
741 Posts
Things manufacturers know and base their designs on.

-We use pickup trucks.

-Pickup trucks with more power and performance sell better and are seen as superior.

-Bragging rights on power, capacity, etc are important to us.

-"tough" is good. The thicker the steel the better.

-The bigger the better applies to trucks. It's more macho.

Therefore, they port over this same logic to mowers, knowing that we already have this mentality.

Bigger is better. More power is better. Faster is better. Heavier is better.

So, you wind up with the designs you see out there with:

-15mph top speeds,
-1300 lb curb weights,
- A ratio of too much money spent on designing styling elements to look flashy and badass relative to that spent designing and testing the mower deck to make sure it actually cuts well in all areas and conditions.
-an aversion to weight savings, as that is seen as being less durable, even when it doesn't have to be. The customer thinks 1200 lbs is built better than 900 lbs. So you wind up with over-engineered sections of the mowers and little attempt to reduce waste.
-and last but not least, spoilers on the rear of some of them!

You also see more 60" decks and larger pushed on customers by marketing because "hey, look at this productivity chart! It's gonna make you 25% more money than that puny 48" will!" Meanwhile you wind up using your 36" wb on smaller lots because the customer hates the damage the heavy machine does. They make more profit on a $12,000 huge machine than a $8,000 smaller basic one, too. So their incentive is definitely to upsell.

Unless it's mowing sparse turf that barely needed mowing anyway, or just chopping down a wide open junky empty lot where nobody cares about quality, I rarely mow at anything close to top speed. Leaving stringers behind just isn't an option. And my ZTR's barely hit 10mph.

The tradeoff of more jumpiness and less control in delicate turns doesn't seem even remotely worth it to me. Plus you're paying more for all the extra steel, pump capacity, etc that you may not even be using.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Things manufacturers know and base their designs on.

-We use pickup trucks.

-Pickup trucks with more power and performance sell better and are seen as superior.

-Bragging rights on power, capacity, etc are important to us.

-"tough" is good. The thicker the steel the better.

-The bigger the better applies to trucks. It's more macho.

Therefore, they port over this same logic to mowers, knowing that we already have this mentality.

Bigger is better. More power is better. Faster is better. Heavier is better.

So, you wind up with the designs you see out there with:

-15mph top speeds,
-1300 lb curb weights,
- A ratio of too much money spent on designing styling elements to look flashy and badass relative to that spent designing and testing the mower deck to make sure it actually cuts well in all areas and conditions.
-an aversion to weight savings, as that is seen as being less durable, even when it doesn't have to be. The customer thinks 1200 lbs is built better than 900 lbs. So you wind up with over-engineered sections of the mowers and little attempt to reduce waste.
-and last but not least, spoilers on the rear of some of them!

You also see more 60" decks and larger pushed on customers by marketing because "hey, look at this productivity chart! It's gonna make you 25% more money than that puny 48" will!" Meanwhile you wind up using your 36" wb on smaller lots because the customer hates the damage the heavy machine does. They make more profit on a $12,000 huge machine than a $8,000 smaller basic one, too. So their incentive is definitely to upsell.

Unless it's mowing sparse turf that barely needed mowing anyway, or just chopping down a wide open junky empty lot where nobody cares about quality, I rarely mow at anything close to top speed. Leaving stringers behind just isn't an option. And my ZTR's barely hit 10mph.

The tradeoff of more jumpiness and less control in delicate turns doesn't seem even remotely worth it to me. Plus you're paying more for all the extra steel, pump capacity, etc that you may not even be using.
Well said...90% of the members of this site care more about bragging rights than they do logic or money. Ex. Dodge Ram p/u pulling Bad Boy mowers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you might be on to something ha haaa

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
I would say that those speeds are best suited, in driving from one mowing area to another.
The only place I could mow that fast,, is the asphalt parking lot, that has grass clippings on it! :laugh: Shoot my mower is 7MPH and I Never mow at full speed!
I drive a Turf Tiger and they are pretty fast. The other day I was driving dow a sidewalk and thought dam this is just tooooo fast. If something happens on one of the hydros...:cry:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.