How fast do you mow

Lawnmowerguy23

LawnSite Member
Just wondering. The guy I works for runs his gravely at like 2 mph. It's winter so I can't fully test it out but last week I used it and went full speed (6 or 7 mph I guess) and it cut fine. I'm wondering how fast I should expect to be able to mow a yard. Like a 32 bradley WB can go 6mph, but it probably can't cut very well in the summer at that speed I imagine.

OP
L

Lawnmowerguy23

LawnSite Member
I usually run what conditions allow, spring slow and steady usually cutting off quite a bit. Likewise summer bit faster. Less need for trimming to usually also then too. It's not about how fast one can mow but how well one mows. I have seen others mow fast and the cut sucks. Rather have quality over speed.
Yeah I want to go as fast as possible without diminishing quality to the point customers don't want my work. I guess it depends on your customer base as well.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
2mph is probably too slow to be fully productive, but it depends on the size of the lawn. If you are mowing a small tight lawn you might need to mow slow for a good product. If it’s large and open, definitely need to be doing at least 6 or 7. But nobody wants to hire a lawn jockey on a 52” mower doing 10mph on their quarter acre lawn it just looks ridiculous!

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
2 mph walking is not crazy slow. 2 mph on a ztr is very slow.

I mow as fast as conditions allow. Grass length, smoothness of lawn. Some lawns are wot, others are super over grown and I am at a indicated 2 or so on the speed selector.

DMT29

LawnSite Silver Member
Same here...mowing speed is dictated by mowing conditions. Weather, season, growth rate, terrain.