• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

How Fast Do You Mow?

Rook00

LawnSite Member
What acre/hr or MPH do you guys mow at on average. I'm thinking I can get 4 acre/hr on a 61" deck, 27hp Kaw LC, 10mph max mower.

What can you do?

LawnMower

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm not sure how fast I mow. I know what my mower is supposed to mow a acre at in perfect conditions.

I average about 45 minutes to an hour mowing a half acre. That includes trim, and blowing off. If I pick the grass up on certain yards it takes a lot lot lot longer. If I double cut it to spread out the clumps it takes a lot longer.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
Since I have never actually encountered perfect enough conditions which would allow me to cut and leave a quality cut behind the fastest I have ever cut was about 3 acres an hour with a 60" DC.

At the height of last season when it was raining every day, the crabgrass was kicking and I had Meg-Mos on the mower I was down to about 3/4 acre an hour.

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
Originally posted by Richard Martin

At the height of last season when it was raining every day, the crabgrass was kicking and I had Meg-Mos on the mower I was down to about 3/4 acre an hour.
Damn, you must have all crappy lawns for the crab grass to slow you down.:cry: Sounds like you need some weed control. :p

Rook00,

Most lawns aren't smooth enough to go wide open or 10mph. I have a few that I can mow at 10 mph but most are too bumpy.

KathysLGC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I mow at about 4.5mph. I notice slower gives me a slightly better cut then 6mph. The clipping spread nicer and the stripes look better.

robin 2

LawnSite Member
I mow as fast as they will go without plugging up the mower. Two 52" snapper Z's at 7.6 mph = two acres per hour per mower. One 61" snapper Z at 8.2 mph = 2.5 acres per hour. The 61" has a 25hp Kohler on it and will sometimes bog down but it is the only one that will slow down. I measured the speeds with a GPS. I mow big open areas around businesses, ballfields, cemetaries, churches, etc. and always go as fast as I can without tearing up the turf. remember time is money!

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
Originally posted by DLCS
Damn, you must have all crappy lawns for the crab grass to slow you down.:cry: Sounds like you need some weed control. :p
Well, I have tried to explain that at various different times over the years. We don't have the pristine lawns here that they have in the north and mid-west. We're in the worst part of the transition zone and we pay for it.