1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How Fast Do You Mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rook00, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

What acre/hr or MPH do you guys mow at on average. I'm thinking I can get 4 acre/hr on a 61" deck, 27hp Kaw LC, 10mph max mower.

What can you do?

2. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure how fast I mow. I know what my mower is supposed to mow a acre at in perfect conditions.

I average about 45 minutes to an hour mowing a half acre. That includes trim, and blowing off. If I pick the grass up on certain yards it takes a lot lot lot longer. If I double cut it to spread out the clumps it takes a lot longer.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Since I have never actually encountered perfect enough conditions which would allow me to cut and leave a quality cut behind the fastest I have ever cut was about 3 acres an hour with a 60" DC.

At the height of last season when it was raining every day, the crabgrass was kicking and I had Meg-Mos on the mower I was down to about 3/4 acre an hour.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Damn, you must have all crappy lawns for the crab grass to slow you down.:cry: Sounds like you need some weed control. :p

Rook00,

Most lawns aren't smooth enough to go wide open or 10mph. I have a few that I can mow at 10 mph but most are too bumpy.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

when hauling azz, about 1 acre an hour.

6. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

48/19 Tiger Cub ... at standard temp and pressure (STP) ... 40 minutes per acre ... not quite hauling arse .

7. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow at about 4.5mph. I notice slower gives me a slightly better cut then 6mph. The clipping spread nicer and the stripes look better.

8. robin 2

robin 2 LawnSite Member

I mow as fast as they will go without plugging up the mower. Two 52" snapper Z's at 7.6 mph = two acres per hour per mower. One 61" snapper Z at 8.2 mph = 2.5 acres per hour. The 61" has a 25hp Kohler on it and will sometimes bog down but it is the only one that will slow down. I measured the speeds with a GPS. I mow big open areas around businesses, ballfields, cemetaries, churches, etc. and always go as fast as I can without tearing up the turf. remember time is money!

9. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

robin 2 is right time is money...

i mow very hiily areas, so i average about 1.5 acres/hr

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have tried to explain that at various different times over the years. We don't have the pristine lawns here that they have in the north and mid-west. We're in the worst part of the transition zone and we pay for it.