1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

How heavy is your string trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CaptainPike, Sep 25, 2010.

1. CaptainPike

CaptainPike LawnSite Member

I've noticed the engines on a lot of commercial string trimmers look absolutely tiny.

I'm using a Poulan Pro trimmer that I got at wally world. I know it's not commercial quality but I'm just a part timer.

The engine on mine is way bigger than most others that I've seen. I'm guessing mine weighs a lot more too. The thing kills my back after about 15 minutes.

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not only is the weight, the length of the shaft make a big difference. Too short will make you band down to trim and it will hurt your back.

I don't particularly think commercial brands is going to be much light, it depend on the size of the engine. If I remember clearly, yours is over 31cc and that is a mighty big engine. Unless you are doing brush cutting, that is way way overkill. For normal yards, I don't see any need of anything over 24cc.

There are cheaper commercial trimmer that is quite strong and light, Husky 223L, Kawasaki KTF27, Echo SRM225, and A Tanaka that is on one post by Richard Martin. Those are plenty light and quite cheap for the quality. You don't need to spend an arm or a leg like most of the people here. They are talking as if those are toys!!!!

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

For light weight and proven performance and a low price look at Kawasaki they have a good trimmer for $200 and if you want to get a little better get a Stihl FS100.

4. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Go to lowes and buy the Husky 223L. I had that for my business and now have the 326L I think. The 223L I think is the best trimmer for price, ease of use, weight, and power. I do huge lawns by myself and without that trimmer I would have major pain in my hands and wrist. If I die I want to be buried with that trimmer lol

5. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

My fs130 I think is right around 13 pounds but it all about the balance and how far u. Have to bend to use it
    Posted via Mobile Device