How I Aerify ans Slit Seed in One Pass.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Hineline, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    phasthound and hort101 like this.
  2. Hineline

Edit doesn't work with the title. Just found that out.

The method starts with scalping the lawn and broadcasting 50% of the seed. Then the hopper of the Bluebird is filled and the BB is hitched and dragged backwards causing the knives to spin counter to the normal direction. This is a far more aggressive method. This was a small lawn but larger lawns makes this quick work.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Hineline

Also, pulling a core prior to slit seeding greatly improves rooting and plant health the following season.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Senior Member

Post up the results.. Looks interesting.

5. Rick Engasser

Rick Engasser LawnSite Member

Thank you for sharing this, keep the good ideas coming! Combination of aeration and slice seeding would be ideal to your point. Perhaps mounting an slice seeder like a Mataway on a Ryan GA30 might work? Mataway reel might too narrow but there may be a one pass combo someone could envision.

6. Hineline

Having an all in one machine would be ideal for sure. I've got to hitch this together, start two motors and tight spots aren't easy. The one advantage with this is that I still have a walk behind slit seeder for trimming out such as the case in this lawn after we got the main lawn done. We unhitched and cut in all the pavement edges and beds.

We did a lawn the day before this one that had some mild grade problems and a lot of dead lawn that needed delaminated. I just hitched up and rode around for an hour and all the grade issued softened out and all of the old lawn was chewed up and mixed with soil. Using a harley rake would have meant hauling the debris away.

I discovered this trick while renting a slit seeder at seeder a job I was doing in June. One of us was on the Classen and the other pushing the seeder. I pushed the seeder up a small hill and pulled it backward rather that turn around at the top. That's when I discovered how much more aggressive it was when pulled backwards. I looked over at my idol Classen and sent my guy for a nylon strap. We finished that projects very quicly after that. Came out great!

hort101 likes this.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not hauling away a few thousand pounds of debris from the old grass--that is a really big savings in time, labor and the customer's money. Hopefully allowing you to price it at a point that would underprice conventional landscaper bids.

Hineline and On a call like this.
  8. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

What do you have happen when you have thick thatch ?

9. Hineline

I haven't run into anything that this won't chew up and blend with soil.

10. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Situations I have ran into....lawns with 2 inches of thatch or....more. I will strip and seed. If I tried to work into the soil there was too much and it is hard to break up well enough to blend. I have tried tilling, thatching, aerating etc.

So does your method eliminate having to strip ?

Generally speaking...most of my jobs have thin at best thatch 1/2 or less or nothing. the 1/2 inch or less I can seed in one pass with my seeders.