1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

How important are drawings for your clients?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Hotty Toddy, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Senior Member

Do you come up with drawings for your clients? I can see the benefits of having such a document that would indicate where the wires are located in case that is needed in the future. I've attached a couple of pics of the type of drawings I would like to be able to do. I don't know the programs used for such.

Along these lines, do you provide your clients with the worksheets of your work which would include transformer info, length of wire for each circuit, measured voltages at each fixture at the time of installation, etc?

20c0983a1b06721e2ef549b4a1d3c26f.jpg unnamed (1).jpg

Mike M and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  2. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

two things I hate doing and think are generally bad practice..

I hate doing a ton of free leg work for a proposal that is likely a 50/50 chance that I never hear back from the client.

I hate doing drawings/illustrations for free. For starters, they are time consuming, secondly the customer then had the blueprint to do it themselves. Generally speaking, it's a bad business practice in every field.

All of that said, about 3 years ago I finally caved in and started providing spec sheets with light placements on the property and fixture styles for every proposal. Yes, it's time consuming and yes I'm sure some people just take that info and roll into doing it themselves. In a perfect world, I would charge for my time and for the drawing.. Unfortunately, most clients don't appreciate the knowledge necessary to put together a good lighting plan and most would just walk away if I told them over the phone that we charge for proposals.

All of the bad practice part aside, it protects my business. Once they sign off on the spec sheet they know what they are getting and can't blame any errors in fixture choices or placements on us. If I just send them a proposal for 27 bullet uplights, 5 pathlights and 3 down lights, there is a lot of room for people to claim confusion. Spec sheets/drawings help to cure that.

Mike M and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

@GreenLight are you talking about the spec sheets that the manufacturers provide? Or something you come up with? Are your light placements described or illustrated?

what part of B’ham are you in? I lived in Inverness down 280 when it was the southernmost part of the city. I hear Birmingham goes half way to Sylacauga now.

GreenLight and knox gsl like this.
  4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

You had to go say something about 280. I'm going to be down there this weekend and need to get some Lloyd's BBQ on my way to the bike park at oak mountain.

GreenLight likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

Ha! I lived very close to Oak Mountain.

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Back to your question on drawings. I don't do them for lighting installs. I will for some landscaping for trusted clients but not for the general public. It takes too much time to put it on paper and I'm not that good at doing it.

GreenLight likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

It’s not that they have the blueprint to do it themselves but that you’re bottom feeding competion has the instructions to do what that dii I don’t know how to do before and all the information needed to underbid you with none of the time or overhead invested.

recipe for disaster

8. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

It's been mentioned that providing scale drawings ahead of time could prove troublesome. Providing drawings after the work has been completed hasn't been touched on yet.
    It's my belief that every lighting and irrigation install should come with scale drawings of the design for the client to keep. This info could prove very beneficial for the client in the future, and even more so for a future buyer of the property if it were to be sold.

GreenLight and knox gsl like this.
  9. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

well yea that’s fine but that is if you are actually doing the job. At least you can then price in your time before doing the work.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You’re referring to an as built.
    Those are typically priced separately in a different line item and are often optional.