How important is a walk behind blower for fall cleanup??

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Whatsup fellas,

First time doing fall clean ups as a company and I was wondering if there is an advantage to having a 10hp walk behind blower over say an Echo pb-8010 for the same money. I have a local guy selling a billy goat walk behind blower for $500. I currently only have my Redmax 8500 and was thinking about getting a second blower or the walk behind to help with fall clean ups as my cousin will probably be helping me. Just looking for suggestions as to what you guys think and why.

Please and thank you

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've just been through this on a couple of threads. I find that with my Husqvarna 580 and Echo 8010 I no longer have a use for my 10HP blower and it sits buried in the back corner of my shed.

If you have parking lots or long driveways to blow, need to pitch large arounds of leaves through a gate or over a stone wall or push leaves a long distance, wheel blowers have a place. I find that with the infinite control I have with a backpack blower along with the wheel blower being clumsy and exhausting to operate on turf, especially if any slopes are involved, that the new generation of big backpack blower is the winner. It's a lot easier to adjust to shifting winds with a backpack blower too.

To me, a wheel blower takes up more room on my trailer than it's worth for my current mix of accounts. My mowers and backpack blowers are what I use. If I didn't have a vacuum bagger on my zero-turn I'd have more use for a wheel blower such as on large open areas.

Last edited:
OP
TSP Lawn Care

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I've just been through this on a couple of threads. I find that with my Husqvarna 580 and Echo 8010 I no longer have a use for my 10HP blower and it sits buried in the back corner of my shed.

If you have parking lots or long driveways to blow, need to pitch large arounds of leaves through a gate or over a stone wall or push leaves a long distance, wheel blowers have a place. I find that with the infinite control I have with a backpack blower along with the wheel blower being clumsy and exhausting to operate on turf, especially if any slopes are involved, that the new generation of big backpack blower is the winner. It's a lot easier to adjust to shifting winds with a backpack blower too.

To me, a wheel blower takes up more room on my trailer than it's worth for my current mix of accounts. My mowers and backpack blowers are what I use. If I didn't have a vacuum bagger on my zero-turn I'd have more use for a wheel blower such as on large open areas.

Thanks man for the response i appreacite it. I did see your comment on another guys thread after i made this one i realized there was another 6 or 7 floating around! I have a bag for my wright stander but its not like a bagging system for a zero turn thats for sure

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
Whatsup fellas,

First time doing fall clean ups as a company and I was wondering if there is an advantage to having a 10hp walk behind blower over say an Echo pb-8010 for the same money. I have a local guy selling a billy goat walk behind blower for $500. I currently only have my Redmax 8500 and was thinking about getting a second blower or the walk behind to help with fall clean ups as my cousin will probably be helping me. Just looking for suggestions as to what you guys think and why.

Please and thank you
I would say if you have someone helping you, go with a top of the line backpack blower. More versatile as Freaky Fido noted.

If you were working by yourself I would say a push blower. You can run the push blower just behind you and it will help push the leaves in the direction you want as you work with the backpack.

Where are the leaves going in the end? Removal, curbside or somewhere on the property?

OP
TSP Lawn Care

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I would say if you have someone helping you, go with a top of the line backpack blower. More versatile as Freaky Fido noted.

If you were working by yourself I would say a push blower. You can run the push blower just behind you and it will help push the leaves in the direction you want as you work with the backpack.

Where are the leaves going in the end? Removal, curbside or somewhere on the property?

I would say about 50/50 on blowing in the woods or hauling by using a leaf vac

S-205

LawnSite Bronze Member
Fall cleanup is 2-3 weeks long at best

mowing season 5-6 months

pretty easy to decide where to spend money

I have both a push blower and I just got the 8010T. But I’ve never thought about this logic before to be honest. I only use the push blower For leaves. So you’re better off buying a couple high hp back pack blowers that you can use all year.

Hvlc

LawnSite Member
It’s the same thought I apply when I get the itch for something new during the 6 week spring cleanup season. That’s why I have doubles of everything. Spring cleanup is so busy and intense everything seems to be held together with bandaids by time mowing season arrives.
This was especially evident with parts shortages and delays due to COVID this past spring.
I felt so fortunate that our business is considered essential and we only lost about 10% in spring vs last year.

OP
TSP Lawn Care

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Thanks fellas. I'm thinking I'll just buy another BP blower either 8010 or br800. I have a redmax 8500 currently

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks fellas. I'm thinking I'll just buy another BP blower either 8010 or br800. I have a redmax 8500 currently
I think that's a good move seeing as you only have one big backpack blower. Nice to have a spare if the Redmax breaks down or you have a helper.

A big plus I didn't mention about backpack blowers is that when the piles get big you can blow over the top of the pile and move it from the front or blast a hole through the middle and blow them through the chute you made. You don't have that sort of control with a wheeled machine and end up blowing against a wall of leaves. There's so much more room for technique with a backpack over the brute force of a walk behind blower.

Top Forums