• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

How important is a walk behind blower for fall cleanup??

caseysmowing

LawnSite Silver Member
Putting a rotating nozzle on the BillGoats would be a game changer. Doing so would make them 33-50% more productive.
I have not heard of this rotating nozzle...... point me in the right direction.

caseysmowing

LawnSite Silver Member
Without a reverse then you have to pull back 170lbs on the non powered dirsxtion?
Debris loader and dump bed insert are next on the acquisition list.
Can’t argue with that. You need both of those more than a bigger blower.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Fall cleanup is 2-3 weeks long at best

mowing season 5-6 months

pretty easy to decide where to spend money
You can blow off driveways , sidewalks or a badly clumped lawn with a wheel blower too, they aren’t just limited to leaf cleaning.
I think the people commenting on backpacks don’t have much in the way of big accounts and they’re just handling mini urban lawns.
There’s no way I’d be blowing an acre or more with just a backpack blower
A wheel blower is way more productive on larger areas.

plus it’s been decades since wheel blowers were 8-10j hp
Most are 15-18 now
You’re not touching that power or air volume (or the distance covered) with any of the backpacks even the monster ones today.

on the small lawns 10,000 sf and under, wheel
Blowers might be too much
The junk youre trying to blow is everywhere including the neighbors property.
So most of the time you have to dial it down to even use it, making it a lot less useful in tighter spaces.

but man if you ended up with a few acres of clumped lawn , you’d be there all day blowing clumps with a back pack!

do people realize you’re supposed to tip the wheel blower back on the two wheels? That front wheel is just for stability when you’re not holding it
It’s not meant to me pushed around with that tiny front wheel digging into the turf?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I think that's a good move seeing as you only have one big backpack blower. Nice to have a spare if the Redmax breaks down or you have a helper.

A big plus I didn't mention about backpack blowers is that when the piles get big you can blow over the top of the pile and move it from the front or blast a hole through the middle and blow them through the chute you made. You don't have that sort of control with a wheeled machine and end up blowing against a wall of leaves. There's so much more room for technique with a backpack over the brute force of a walk behind blower.
You don’t know how to use the wheel blower then.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Member
You don’t know how to use the wheel blower then.
How about look at the context of my comments, if you're capable of doing so.

Here's the meat of the OP's original post. "First time doing fall clean ups as a company and I was wondering if there is an advantage to having a 10hp walk behind blower over say an Echo pb-8010 for the same money. I have a local guy selling a billy goat walk behind blower for $500. I currently only have my Redmax 8500 and was thinking about getting a second blower or the walk behind to help with fall clean ups as my cousin will probably be helping me. Just looking for suggestions as to what you guys think and why."

We've got a new guy working solo most of the time who is wondering what is the best way to spend his money. He currently has only one backpack blower from the previous generation of big blowers - no backup or one for a helper to use and he could be getting things done faster if he had a more powerful backpack. If he buys a used Billy Goat - God forbid it's the 10HP one with the POS Briggs 10HP I/C engine - he's still got only one backpack blower and it isn't the most powerful one available, it might even be tired by now, who knows. He could use his new 8010 on all of his cleanups and all other work he needs a blower for and he'd have a backup in the 8500 and it would be available for a helper to use.

So yeah, I stand by my comments. In this case a big bad-ass blower would serve him better than a walk behind blower IMO.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
How about look at the context of my comments, if you're capable of doing so.

Here's the meat of the OP's original post. "First time doing fall clean ups as a company and I was wondering if there is an advantage to having a 10hp walk behind blower over say an Echo pb-8010 for the same money. I have a local guy selling a billy goat walk behind blower for $500. I currently only have my Redmax 8500 and was thinking about getting a second blower or the walk behind to help with fall clean ups as my cousin will probably be helping me. Just looking for suggestions as to what you guys think and why."

We've got a new guy working solo most of the time who is wondering what is the best way to spend his money. He currently has only one backpack blower from the previous generation of big blowers - no backup or one for a helper to use and he could be getting things done faster if he had a more powerful backpack. If he buys a used Billy Goat - God forbid it's the 10HP one with the POS Briggs 10HP I/C engine - he's still got only one backpack blower and it isn't the most powerful one available, it might even be tired by now, who knows. He could use his new 8010 on all of his cleanups and all other work he needs a blower for and he'd have a backup in the 8500 and it would be available for a helper to use.

So yeah, I stand by my comments. In this case a big bad-ass blower would serve him better than a walk behind blower IMO.
Blah blah blah text wall rant
I’ve read nothing but years of posts , guy after guy , rambling on about limited experience with no training assuming their too smart to me shown how to do something and when they run off to do their own thing and they can’t do something poof! The equipment is no good.
Always the tools fault
Never the craftsman
The tool built the house wrong

sure!

there are no backpacks that are 17-18 hp
And they aren’t putting out anywhere near the power a wheel blower does

in fact wheel blower must be so useless they went so far as to make bigger ride on ones because they needed twice the uselessness!

I mean why would anyone have one if they just new about backpacks right??

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Member
Blah blah blah text wall rant
I’ve read nothing but years of posts , guy after guy , rambling on about limited experience with no training assuming their too smart to me shown how to do something and when they run off to do their own thing and they can’t do something poof! The equipment is no good.
Always the tools fault
Never the craftsman
The tool built the house wrong

sure!

there are no backpacks that are 17-18 hp
And they aren’t putting out anywhere near the power a wheel blower does

in fact wheel blower must be so useless they went so far as to make bigger ride on ones because they needed twice the uselessness!

I mean why would anyone have one if they just new about backpacks right??
Talk about rants, lol.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Talk about rants, lol.
Hello kettle.. this is pot.. hahah.. smh back packs are nice. They are flexible.. when we do large clean up lots 1-3 acres we just mount the back pack on the deck of our 61s. And run the blades at the same time. Unless it’s a parking lot in my opinion why get a walk behind. Ur just limited on flexibility.. a la grooves in between trees. And so fourth. I tho I the walk behind blower does serve its purpose. But U can move as well laterally. Up and down .. behind u while ur still walking. Between ur legs. Behind shrubs with a walk behind blower. They are limited. If this dude is hiring his cousin. He should just rock 2 back packs. Just for flexibility’s walk behind blowers aren’t goi g to be as beneficial. And who ever is leaving clumps in the yard clearly should not be mowing 2 acres under a contract unless it’s a corn field . And u do get occasional clumps when it’s wet yes but who is walking 2 acres to clean up clumps.