Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it is really dry here in Virginia. Many of my customers have not had their lawns cut in three weeks, I hope it gets better soon. I imagine this fall is going to be horrible also. How are your business' fairing?:hammerhead:

·
Registered
715 Posts
What drought?? Im ready to put pontoons on the mowers..This is the first week in a month or so that we havnt had rain during the week.
We had a drought 3 yrs ago..lost half the summer. Hope things turn around for ya.......:usflag:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im here in Northern Virginia and this is the first week that ive had alot of my lawns not need to be done.. Its been really nice just dry. Im taking today to look at stripers, Get new belts for my aerators, Try and tract down some business owners and try and get some new work for next year and try and get some other work... it sucks when it gets dry but its not as bad as last year.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I guess we're lucky this year, haven't skipped anyone yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My part of TN is dry as it has ever been. I am talking about yards cut three weeks ago that still do not need it. You can tell where anyone is cutting because the dust cloud is so big. I saw the flooding in FL on the news this morning and hate that for them. We will take some of that rain of their hands.

·
Registered
83 Posts
wow.. three weeks... most of my customers water here... but for whatever reason they didnt do a great job this week... 2 of my 5 acre properites havent been done in 2 weeks... Ill take some rain here thou

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We havn't received any measurable rain in weeks. If it doesn't rain soon my season will be over early. Last year most of my lawn cuttings ended in late September, starting to look like that will be the case this year also.

·
Moderator, Friend, Angel
36,324 Posts
I would take Rain over drought any day. Well I don't want my home to wash away . But where there is rain, there is a sure bet you will be back cutting like crazy soon. Water is such a big part of our everyday lives. I wouldn't take it for granted. I remember not too long ago that many parts of Fla was forming sink holes because it was so dry. Fla was covered up with wild fires.
Back in 87 through 89 was the largest, costliest natural disaster to hit the US in history--it was a drought and ground zero was the mid west. Barges couldn't traverse the Mississippi River etc. Flooding is terrible but it is more temporary than drought usually is

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Things were going strong up until a month ago. Before that we always got rain when we needed it. Over the past month we've had maybe a half inch of rain. There are many accounts that this will be the fourth week of not cutting them. Even the irrigated lawns are showing signs of drying out. If we don't get rain soon I'll be hurting. The rains seems to be all around us and when cold fronts move through they are at night so the rain will die out just before it gets to us. In fact it's been so dry in the past two weeks I'm noticing some leaves around town are showing a little color already. This is not what I needed with buying a business this year.

·
Registered
17,406 Posts
We had 60 days of 100F and over 90 days of 90F+ with practically no rain. There is some good news in that those guys that can't do irrigation are not able to hold their properties. None of the commerical accounts will tolerate dead plants/treees/shrubs. A lot of accounts are out asking for bids here in August:clapping:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.