Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have been in the business 5+ years, hows the market today? Finding it hard to retain customers? Hard to find new customers? Are people buying their own mowers or letting the nephew do it more? I am thinking about getting back into the biz, but with the economy the way it is, I'm a little nervous.

So how is it versus yesterday?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are ten times the members on lawnsite now.. maybe that should tell me something. Even with the average joe-throw your mower in the honda accord and call it a landscaping company- a good quality LCO could do well five years ago. Is that still true?

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
It seems like there are more LCO's, equipment manufacturers, trade magazines etc.
It's a growing industry. And becoming a true vocation.

I think it's getting better for the licensed professionals and tougher for the others.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
5/10 yrs vs today.

More money back then. Less cost to operate - even being legit. Workers are hard to find that are of value to me or my company.

As stated above - FLOODED.

Today - better equipment. I have learned a thing or two since 5-10yrs ago.

Still enjoying the work - just not the people so much any more.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It seems like there are more LCO's, equipment manufacturers, trade magazines etc.
It's a growing industry. And becoming a true vocation.

I think it's getting better for the licensed professionals and tougher for the others.
I'd like to think that, but I'm not always sure that it's true. It can sometimes be pretty tough on the licensed pros too.

However, I do think that people give more respect to lawn care and landscaping as a reputable job now that the tools and methods are becoming more precise and the owners more knowledgeable and professional.

LawnSite probably plays a role there. . .

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
After looking and thinking about this (I have soar back that needs the day off) Lawn Care - ie mowing is flooded. Lawn Care - fert/squirt programs is ok b/c it requires a lics, insurance, know how and up-to-date info on weeds, grass, etc. Landscaping is along the same lines. I do a fair amount but compared to the guys who have a 50 acre nursery, landscape, retail business - I fall way short to those guys.

I knew one guy a few years ago who had his own nursery/landscape business. 4 man crew. He sold, moved on and now he is in a larger community working for a large nursery and he tells me there are days that this company brings in more money in one day that what he grossed for ayear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.