• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

how late do you seed

ant

LawnSite Silver Member
how late do you guys seed?
were you from?
what is the cut off point? soil temps,ect...
anthony

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
I seeded some 2 weeks ago and one last week, I'm done.

OP
ant

ant

LawnSite Silver Member
dhicks/eric why are you both done?

Alan

I've got 20,000 ft to seed this week. After that I'd rather not seed until well into November. There is a window where it's warm enoguht to germinate but too cold for turf to establish before freeze-up. Once soil temps go down to keep the seed dormant I'll put it down and feel comfortable that it will sit there until spring and start just fine. I'm in NW Vermont, average first frost date here is September 17, we're running on borrowed time now, no frost yet here in the Champlain valley

powerreel

Banned
my impression has been that fall over seeding is far more efficent than the spring, also i have heard that seeding too late in the year can cause the seed to rot and this process will degrade your co2 content in your grass "forest"

dhicks

Anthony: At least where I live the rains will be coming and the frost typically hits my area prior to Holloween. I like to make sure the seeds have a good germination period. Other than that, I'm ready for winter!